2003 Quarles Harris

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

2003 Quarles Harris

Post by WineLoverPT »

Decanted at 6pm: opaque purple. Not much in the nose. Rich - blackberries, a bit rough, some heat - long finish - will it ever end? If it can just loose that slight rough edge, this would be excellent, at the moment it’s just fairly nice.
D + 3: Some heat, elderberries. Mouth: damsons with a topping of cherry, warm with a slight edge. Long finish.
D + 24: This is big - big fruit, big nose, big legs, big finish. In the context that “I know nothing”, I think this has years left in it.
D + 27: Still nice, fruit compot, cherries in the finish.
D + 48: Powerful, rich, a bit hot in the stomach - long finish.

I wasn't going to have this for a while, but I was in the supermarket a few days ago and spied that there was a new stash of this on the shelves. Reasoning that if it proved to be excellent, I could quickly buy a few more (as if, in this instance, they wouldn't have sold out, of course) out came the cork.
Two days and a bottle of port later, I have no idea.
At 35 euros it's not expensive, but that's not an excuse for not making an informed decision - so when next I am there, "Dice Man" style, I will toss a coin.