2005 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

2005 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Post by jdaw1 »

On Tuesday 21st October 2014 we gathered in Davy’s at Woolgate for a vertical of Ramos Pinto, in the presence of João Nicolau de Almeida, Mark Bingley M.W. and Ana Rato. Flash_uk kindly supplied two bottles of 2005 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2005 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Post by jdaw1 »

2005 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape: lovely — thank you Flash — but I failed to take any note.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: 2005 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Post by flash_uk »

I didn't take much in the way of notes for this either! From memory, 90% opacity, dark blood red. Fairly classic CndP nose of farmyard meatiness. In the mouth, some fruit, cherry or plum, not much acidity and some mild tannins at the finish. Slightly mineral texture to the finish. When first opened this was a little lifeless and out of balance but a couple of hours later over dinner it had perked up somewhat, although still not as energetic as it could have been. I don't think this will benefit much at all from further aging, but right now is a quite pleasant and enjoyable accompaniment to a nice rare steak.