1985 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1985 Warre

Post by djewesbury »

We had a fantastic Guigal Côtes du Rhone with our lamb tagine this evening, setting us up nicely for this bottle after dinner.

4 hour decant. Pale, orangey in the decanting funnel and pink in the glass, about 40% opaque.

The nose is gorgeous. Light, sweet, lively, exciting; mint, eucalyptus, forest floor with leaf mould, marzipan, blueberry muffin and that suggestion of ethereality that makes the first whiff of good VP so exciting. In my opinion it's that note, that hint of gradual decay, the delicacy and brightness and brittleness, which is what makes a good VP so enervating. Wonderful stuff and I've not even tasted it yet.

Superb mouth. Light, juicy, bitter cherries (see ginjinha), raspberries, a little heat late on with a long, delicate, light-boned finish, fragile tannins that linger around the gums. Rose water appears in the finish. This is nothing short of glorious.

Anyone who says to me in future that they 'don't need any W85', that's fine by me. This is properly mature, and it isn't closed.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 1985 Warre

Post by djewesbury »

At D+9, this is seriously good stuff. Chocolate-coated cherries. Light dryness. Delicious.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 1985 Warre

Post by djewesbury »

Finishing this tonight, the sweet chocolate softness has receded once more and the fruit is joined by pronounced acidity. Slightly green entry, acid mid palate and a lightly tart finish of moderate length. Lively, fresh, still very good.
Daniel J.