1980 Croft Roeda

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1980 Croft Roeda

Post by uncle tom »

Quite a lot of this has found it's way to auction over the last couple of years, some in owc and some bin-soiled. Although both variants have appeared at the same sale, the absence of consecutive lot numbers makes me suspect more than one source.

I bought some on the spur of the moment, enticed by low prices, but on checking realised that past experience and reportage did not bode well. Were people dumping a duff wine? Did I need to cut my losses and offload?

I finally got round to opening a bottle today (from a bin-soiled lot) and can report that whilst it is not a stellar wine, it is not too shabby either.

Slight fogging in the glass, opacity low, but not bad; still tannic and not fully mature, yet very drinkable.

Improved noticeably post decant, but nice enough not to see a second day..

A decent affordable player with a couple of decades life left. 3-4
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1980 Croft Roeda

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I relieved and pleased to read a positive tasting note. I bought a case of this some years ago when I was looking to stock up on the 1980 vintage partly because the price was good and partly because I didn't have any.

Then I started to read the notes that this was a poor wine and tiring and I became a little worried. This has given me some hope.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.