1970 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1970 Dow

Post by DRT »

Today I received confirmation that I am officially divorced. So something nice that starts with a D seemed appropriate.

Divorced +2 hours
Slightly spirity nose with strawberry jam beneath. Thick and chewy in the mouth. Violets and dark chocolate and a huge amount of dryness in the entry and mid-palate. The finish is long, warming and sweet on the cheeks and tongue but dry on the roof of the mouth. Very nice.

"Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty, I'm free at last" 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1970 D(ivorce)ow

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

My heartfelt congratulations - it must be a real relief to finally have managed to achieve something that you have been trying to complete for so long. I am so pleased for you that the Dow '70 is showing well.

Oh yes, and well done on that divorce thingy.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I question the wisdom of your saying these things in this public forum, but congratulations nonetheless.

Also, I think it bad public policy for people to celebrate marriage with Messias and divorce with Dow. It would create bad incentives.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:I question the wisdom of your saying these things in this public forum
I accept the words of caution and have amended the thread title to reduce publicity.
jdaw1 wrote:Also, I think it bad public policy for people to celebrate marriage with Messias and divorce with Dow. It would create bad incentives.
Perhaps Magnum of Fonseca rather than Messias?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:Also, I think it bad public policy for people to celebrate marriage with Messias and divorce with Dow. It would create bad incentives.
Ah, but you must celebrate with Martinez, Messias, Moreira, and Morgan.

No wait, still doesn't work. That means you'd be divorcing with Dalva, Delaforce, and Dow. That 1952 Golden White Colheita would definitely be a bad incentive!
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1970 Dow

Post by JacobH »

I think the problem is overstated: consumption of Messias implies the prior consumption of a vast amount of something else which is alcoholicⁱ. To celebrate a wedding this will include at least one VP of note. The incentive is to drink enough of that so that the Messias becomes an attractive proposition!

[i) see here and here ]

Anyway, congratulations :)
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Congratulations on this Derek. Obviously an important and relieving moment for you, and a beautiful port to open for the occasion.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

... and it makes the Jan 30th tasting somewhat complete, because that Dow was a pity.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC reports on worse.