1995 Dow Bomfim

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1995 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I opened this yesterday and have been sipping on it since. This is a very simple SQVP that has some pecular notes to it. From its very simple light weight palate of strawberries and light plums, fully resolved tannins, and short finish. The one thing that I keep coming back to though, is the palate tastes like someone added a bunch of So2, which dominates the fruit. I don't recall ever having that taste sensation in a VP before. Its a little bit less noticeable on day 2, but still there. I would have to rank this as more of a lower quality LBV and a very poor showing compared to other Bomfim's I've had. I don't see this improving with time. 83 points
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Maybe a bad bottle?
I've had this port a couple of times and it should be better than that.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I would probably guess so. I've never had it before, so I have no previous experience to compare it too. I'll have to get another bottle and try it again.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I have had a few and they were not consistent, but generally better than you rate it. I would take this over LBV any time.

How would you rate this port compared to a Dow's Crusted? Both are similar in price.