1985 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1985 Taylor

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep red, 50% opaque. A little bit of jammy fruit on the nose. Lovely jammy fruit on entry but with a second wave of tannin and acidity that provides a perfect structure, yet it allows a particular floral element to shine through. A little hollow on the aftertaste but then a long and very fine finish of mature and chewy fruit. A great example of Taylor's power and refinement. 93/100.

The review thread contains a list of all the ports on show at the 2014 Berry Brothers Port Walk.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1985 Taylor

Post by flash_uk »

30% opacity, red. Sweet nose, strawberries. Gentle entry, smooth, builds to a tannic high, lovely sweetness, lip licking.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I come to bury Ceasar not to praise him...

I was most struck by how wizened it was, like that society which went from barbarism to decadence with no intervening period of civilisation it seems to have missed out entirely the plateau of maturity. This quality of being ravaged prematurely was most marked in the colour, it was the palest port on the table with vintages 15 years older. And the Pete Doherty collapse was enhanced by a reedy, querulous note to the palate, sharing a quality with those people you go and visit who always moan about how you never come to visit. Not to be compared to the Fonseca 85, even compared with the fairly vacuous Croft 85 it seemed elderly.

Loved it.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

A beautiful note which reminded of Michael Foot's words on David Steel, the fall of Carthage, the last days of the Thatcher government, the Pitcairn Island scandal, and my mother.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:A beautiful note which reminded of Michael Foot's words on David Steel, the fall of Carthage, the last days of the Thatcher government, the Pitcairn Island scandal, and my mother.
So where's your note Mr Cleverclogs.

Looks like we got us a Note-off!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

My note says, in neat capital letters, "GREAT BABY OF A PORT". Exegete that.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

My notes only say: eucalyptus in the nose, more full-bodied than the F85, better than the T85 we had at the tasting in September (when Glenn came over to London)
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port