2001 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Ed.W
Cheap Ruby

2001 Taylor Vargellas

Post by Ed.W »

This post was split off from a tasting note for a different bottle of the same Port by DRT.

Author note: Expanded slightly, now that post has been separated, not entirely au fait with forum etiquette as of yet

Drank this over a couple of days, around a week or so ago. 4.5 hour decant on first tasting, finished on second sitting, about a night later.

Looking at my brief scribblings: not much heat, fairly powerful tannins, but not quite as blockbuster-like as a Sandeman 2009 LBV I also drank recently (and I'll get round to posting neophyte scribblings on that in due course.) Plums/blackberries on palate, the former taking over as it opened up on the palate. Mint and/or eucalyptus notes were in the background of the mid-palate, and took over on the finish, which was of a fairly substantial length. Not very sweet, but that wasn't to the port's detriment. Enjoyed it very much. 87

Looking forward to trying more aged vintages and SQVPs though, it has to be said. This callow youth needs to improve his palate!