One quiz at a time

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
JWEW
Warre’s Warrior

Re: One quiz at a time

Post by JWEW »

My theory was the start and end of the 1st French Republic but can't see the link of drinking port to commemorate the end. Probably not my go either.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

JWEW wrote:My theory was the start and end of the 1st French Republic but can't see the link of drinking port to commemorate the end. Probably not my go either.
I just checked and it isn't. :lol:
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I should say that the link to port for the second date is less obvious / more tenuous than the link to champagne for the first. We have established that it simply connotes place in each case and that I don't think of port as exclusively a Portuguese invention.
Daniel J.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:When I said you won't find what the date signifies by googling it, I meant that whatever it is will not be connected with this date. What was the theme of the first date? And what could be reasonably supposed, therefore, to link it with the second? Maybe working on part three will lead you to part two.
I had got this far, but found nothing while searching for relevant birth/marriage/death of Lous XVI or Marie Antoinette; on a wider search, 10th Feb was the day Pushkin died; I have no idea of a link between the two aside from "both death dates" and "both historical figures". Regarding the Champagne, Port and AHB connection my only thought was Alex's Quinquagenary which contained both, so the other alternative was an anniversary.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

I think napoleonic troops occupied Portugal in the early 19th century. Is there a connection to this? Champagne for the start of the occupation and port for the end?
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

One quiz at a time

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:When I said you won't find what the date signifies by googling it, I meant that whatever it is will not be connected with this date. What was the theme of the first date? And what could be reasonably supposed, therefore, to link it with the second? Maybe working on part three will lead you to part two.
I had got this far, but found nothing while searching for relevant birth/marriage/death of Lous XVI or Marie Antoinette; on a wider search, 10th Feb was the day Pushkin died; I have no idea of a link between the two aside from "both death dates" and "both historical figures". Regarding the Champagne, Port and AHB connection my only thought was Alex's Quinquagenary which contained both, so the other alternative was an anniversary.
These are all interesting but quite beside the point.
What happened to Louis XVI on the first date?
Which '48/'49 might be relevant to the second date?
Why might it be impossible to search for this event in an 'On This Day' type of website?
Can you really not remember anything at all that you have learned about AHB, indeed you have learned it here in this very thread?
As I pointed out the clue about AHB would only help you solve the first date and that has been solved now.
A clue, that doesn't have any direct bearing on the main quiz, but which might point you in the right direction: on what date did the Battle of the Boyne take place?
Last edited by djewesbury on 13:14 Thu 15 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:I think napoleonic troops occupied Portugal in the early 19th century. Is there a connection to this? Champagne for the start of the occupation and port for the end?
Nope.
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:These are all interesting but quite beside the point.
Why might it be impossible to search for this event in an 'On This Day' type of website?
Can you really not remember anything at all that you have learned about AHB, indeed you have learned it here in this very thread?
As I pointed out the clue about AHB would only help you solve the first date and that has been solved now.
A clue, that doesn't have any direct bearing on the main quiz, but which might point you in the right direction: on what date did the Battle of the Boyne take place?
Oh well; I can see this is going to be painful :oops:
I never expected (no-one expects...) - is it the Spanish Inquisition?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
NO!!!
Really - answer the simple question, designed to put you on the right track - what date did the Battle of the Boyne (aka the Twelfth of July) really take place on????
What could the connection be between event one (execution of Louis XVI) and event two???
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:What happened to Louis XVI on the first date?
He died, due to his head not being connected to his body.
djewesbury wrote:Which '48/'49 might be relevant to the second date?
No idea, except for previous guesses (approx. 65 year if 19xx, so birthday/retirement already suggested).
djewesbury wrote:Why might it be impossible to search for this event in an 'On This Day' type of website?
Because it relates to a family member rather than a celebrity or historical figure, or because the event was not especially significant (assuming the former).
djewesbury wrote:Can you really not remember anything at all that you have learned about AHB, indeed you have learned it here in this very thread?
Yes, he owns a mine in New Mexico. No, I'm not re-reading the entire thread! Perhaps he is distantly related to one of the people who form part of the answer?
djewesbury wrote:As I pointed out the clue about AHB would only help you solve the first date and that has been solved now.
... to Louis XVI
djewesbury wrote:A clue, that doesn't have any direct bearing on the main quiz, but which might point you in the right direction: on what date did the Battle of the Boyne take place?
1st July 1690.
Please, sir, can I have some water?
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:
NO!!!
Well, I thought it was amusing anyway :p
djewesbury wrote:Really - answer the simple question, designed to put you on the right track - what date did the Battle of the Boyne (aka the Twelfth of July) really take place on????
12th of July? What kind of funny new-fangled calendar are you using! See previous answer (and yes, I got the "potential offset between Gregorian vs JDAW Julian calendars" hint).
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

At last some proper answers. Go and lie down while I explain as I can tell nobody is going to get there.

The final clue, which was meant to enlighten you, has been answered correctly by Phil without any light apparently having been shed. The Battle of the Boyne did indeed take place on the 1st of July 1690; and yet it is commemorated on the 12th of July, as Phil has said, because of the shift in dates occasioned by the UK having subsequently adopted the Gregorian calendar.

So, the 10th of February is a date in the Gregorian calendar. But wait.. we've already established that the date might not be readily lookupable (Derek, if you report me to Apostrophe Crimes, I will never allow you to eat pork pie again) - not because it's a private occasion.. but because.. the date has changed because of the adoption of the Gregorian calendar.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

So. What date might link to the years '48/'49, in any century, but presumably in the 18th or earlier, since it isn't a date in the Gregorian calendar, and might also be connected somehow to the execution of King Louis XVI?

What other country has a connection with Port other than Portugal?

What, off the top of your heads, might be the answer???
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:So, the 10th of February is a date in the Gregorian calendar. But wait.. we've already established that the date might not be readily lookupable (Derek, if you report me to Apostrophe Crimes, I will never allow you to eat pork pie again) - not because it's a private occasion.. but because.. the date has changed because of the adoption of the Gregorian calendar.
Yep, I got that bit; and discovered that Guy Fawkes was executed on 31st Jan, for example - though I hadn't checked if I'd corrected the date in the right direction... but hadn't got further in connecting port, or '48/'49, yet.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

30th January 1648.
In 1752, the calendar changed, from Julian to Gregorian.
In that year, the start of the year also changed: until 1752, the year began on Lady Day - the 25th March. That was New Year's Day.
The change to the Gregorian calendar meant also that New Year's Day was moved to the 1st of January.
Under the 'New Style' date, Charles was executed in 1649; and that is how it is recorded today. But at the time, it was 1648.
30 Jan 1648 (Old Style) = 10 Feb 1649 (New Style).
Champagne for a French king, Port for an English.
Simples.
I resign.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

JWEW's turn, as he guessed the first bit correctly.
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:Champagne for a French king, Port for an English.
Simples.
I resign.
Can we set some fireworks off?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Only if they're not Chinese.
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:Only if they're not Chinese.
Because for that we have to wait for Feb 19th? Or can we do it 11 days earlier due to the UK calendar change, or 10days earlier for the French, or... nope, 12 days for the Chinese it seems... right, Feb 7th it is! Ah, no, bugger, it's related to lunar/solar cycles, ah well I have to wait.
Last edited by PhilW on 15:02 Thu 15 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

:exhausted, older than I look, can't go on emoticon:
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I must say Phil, I thought that a man with a logical brain and insight like yours would have got this tremendously simple quiz. :cry: :wink:
Daniel J.
JWEW
Warre’s Warrior

Post by JWEW »

djewesbury wrote:JWEW's turn, as he guessed the first bit correctly.
Oh dear, I'll retire and attempt to think of a suitable question. If anyone else can think of one then please feel free to usurp me.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

On interesting thing I have learned from this question is that not all countries switch from Julian to Gregorian at the same time. A consequence of this is that different countries "lost" different numbers of days when switching due to the drift between the calendar methods for determining leap years.

In 1582 the calendars were defined to have a 10 day difference; this continued until 1700 when it increased to 11 days. Much of Europe changed from Julian to Gergorian in the period 1580-1610 (10 days skipped), but the UK only changed in 1752 (11 days shift); I can only imagine the dates between countries must have been confusing for that 150years.
djewesbury wrote:30 Jan 1648 (Old Style) = 10 Feb 1649 (New Style).
I think the above means that at the 1648/1649 year change there was only a difference of 10 rather than 11 days; this would mean that 30 Jan 1648 (Old Style) = 9 Feb 1649 (New Style), which would mean you can drink your port a day earlier - hurrah!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:On interesting thing I have learned from this question is that not all countries switch from Julian to Gregorian at the same time. A consequence of this is that different countries "lost" different numbers of days when switching due to the drift between the calendar methods for determining leap years.

In 1582 the calendars were defined to have a 10 day difference; this continued until 1700 when it increased to 11 days. Much of Europe changed from Julian to Gergorian in the period 1580-1610 (10 days skipped), but the UK only changed in 1752 (11 days shift); I can only imagine the dates between countries must have been confusing for that 150years.
djewesbury wrote:30 Jan 1648 (Old Style) = 10 Feb 1649 (New Style).
I think the above means that at the 1648/1649 year change there was only a difference of 10 rather than 11 days; this would mean that 30 Jan 1648 (Old Style) = 9 Feb 1649 (New Style), which would mean you can drink your port a day earlier - hurrah!
Good lord, you're right! Huzzah. And Rachel's January abstemiousness will be a distant and unpleasant memory by then. :lol:
The other interesting thing about this is that when King Billy sailed from the Low Countries to Britain in 1688, he arrived before he left; at least, calendrically.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Have I yet grouched about the Gregorian calendar?

The Julian calendar started in 46 B.C.E. Later Pope Gregory corrected the error in the Julian accumulated since the Council of Nicaea in 325 C.E., rather than since the original Julian proclamation. During those 3.7 centuries the Julian calendar had, rounded, another 3 days of error. So the calendar is still three days wrong.

My campaign to correct this error has not yet quite reached critical mass.

This might be even tougher than the big-bottle campaign.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

What would we call this new calendar? The Superjulian? The New Julian?
Daniel J.