1980 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1980 Warre

Post by LGTrotter »

I nearly didn't write a note on this because I have written another one on this port quite recently. But it is worth saying again; this is a really good port. I would venture that it is better than anything Warre produced between 1966 and 2000. And I think it runs the 66 pretty close and will probably come to resemble it.

Still a bit young at age 35, it is rather brooding and sharp still. Loves being open for a while as it tends to be a bit hot and dark when freshly decanted. But underneath all this is a strong, vibrant beast that is a pleasure to drink. 93ish points.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1980 Warre

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It's always worth writing notes even when separate bottles have been opened with little time in between - it helps give an idea whether bottle variation is a problem or not. So thank you for posting this second one.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1980 Warre

Post by LGTrotter »

Thank you for this encouragement Alex. I find bottle variation less of an issue than some, not that it doesn't happen but I try to buy wines from one source, often from those who have had it since release so it tends to suffer less than when I have bought different lots from different sources. For example I have bought Graham 1970 from all over the place and have found the results a little haphazard.

The following day I am less bullish about the future of this port, it became more simple and sweet, perhaps more like the 1970 than the 66. Not a shameful comparison though.