Can you recommend a port glass?

Anything to do with Port.
profmatt
Cruz Ruby

Can you recommend a port glass?

Post by profmatt »

I'm a newbie and looking to buy some nice glasses to enjoy my port.

Any recommendations or advice?
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Can you recommend a port glass?

Post by PhilW »

I personally like the Riedel port glasses if you want something a little special (these are probably what I would buy if the glasses were for a present), but any simple white wine glasses will suffice perfectly well; ISO tasting glasses are the typical default, are inexpensive, easily obtained, and can often be purchased branded with the port houses of your choice if you are inclined; I have several and am quite happy with them.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Riedel make a number of ranges of glasses, the one I use for everyday port drinking is the Vinum port glass. These are quite pricey and delicate (I have broken two so far this year) but I like their feel and shape.

Schott-Zweisel also make a port glass which is pretty good.

Or, as Phil suggests, a basic white wine glass works pretty well, although I would strongly recommend choosing one with a cut rim and not a rolled rim. The rolled rim seems to cause the port to spread out over the tongue when you take a sip and port seems to prefer to start by flowing onto the centre of the tongue.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
profmatt
Cruz Ruby

Post by profmatt »

Thank you for your advice, everyone.

I've ordered two of the Riedel glasses, and two of the Riedel glasses without stems. They were expensive, but I got 20% off, so it's not too bad. Besides, they're for a very expensive bottle (see my other thread for details!).
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

My only complaint with the Riedel glasses is they break far too easily. I had a dozen and am down to four after six years---all but one were broken without a drop, a few when gently hand drying. Lest you say I'm too clumsy, have broken hardly anything else in that span.

I bought two cases of Marjorie Lumm's glasses four years ago that I use for the Port Club and they have held up very well and can go in a dishwasher.

Just my 2 cents
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

The Riedel port glasses are an excellent glass, I use them if I am going to write a note as I think this gives some consistency to the tasting note.
However I also drink port out of all sorts of glasses. Just for a slurp in the evening I have a lovely old glass which I bought a pair of in a charity shop, they are 1840/1860 and look great but I know they are not a good shape for tasting.
When I am taking a bottle round to a mate's house we often just rinse out the wine glasses and use them. Which brings me onto the next thought; I think the Riedel port glass is a bit small, I like a bigger glass to give the port a chance to open up a bit, I have even been known to use my Riedel Bordeaux glass and no, I don't fill them up like I do when drinking bordeaux. I have loads of different glasses and find myself being less precious about which I use these days.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I have lots and lots of ISO / IVDP glasses which I wheel out for tastings but to drink port at home I use a white wine glass: larger bowl, but still the tapering in that focuses the nose, and a cut rim as Alex says. I do not like glasses that break when you look at them, and the wine glasses I have are very fine so I have no problems with them.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

John M wrote:My only complaint with the Riedel glasses is they break far too easily. I had a dozen and am down to four after six years---all but one were broken without a drop, a few when gently hand drying. Lest you say I'm too clumsy, have broken hardly anything else in that span.
I have only ever had 4, still have 3, and they're my primary Port-drinking glasses. I use them almost daily. The one that I broke I did while drying, foolishly.

I've never understood the rumor that the Riedel Vinum is a fragile glass. In my experience it isn't. But perhaps I'm just careful with them? I was using a hand-blown Riedel Sommelier Tawny glass for several months until my housekeeper broke it. Those are FAR more fragile than the Vinum series.
Glenn Elliott
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Glenn E. wrote:
John M wrote:My only complaint with the Riedel glasses is they break far too easily. I had a dozen and am down to four after six years---all but one were broken without a drop, a few when gently hand drying. Lest you say I'm too clumsy, have broken hardly anything else in that span.
I have only ever had 4, still have 3, and they're my primary Port-drinking glasses. I use them almost daily. The one that I broke I did while drying, foolishly.

I've never understood the rumor that the Riedel Vinum is a fragile glass. In my experience it isn't. But perhaps I'm just careful with them? I was using a hand-blown Riedel Sommelier Tawny glass for several months until my housekeeper broke it. Those are FAR more fragile than the Vinum series.
While I've enjoyed them on the couple of occasions I've used them, I don't own any, and will likely never own any, Sommelier line glasses for that reason. I've heard horror stories from literally everyone I know who has owned them.

I enjoy my Riedel Vinum port glasses, and while they need care, haven't found them to be more fragile than appropriate for a nice glass. With more expressive ports, especially youngish VP, I prefer a small white wine glass, my go to being my bulk restaurant grade Riedel white wine glasses, which can be procured for just a few dollars a stem if you look hard enough or know someone.

Beware using a bigger glass on Ports you suspect will show with more heat though, as it tends to amplify that fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Another fine glass for port is the Spiegelau Profi Tasting (see here). I use these for wine courses and tastings, but they are a good size for drinking Port. Quite sturdy too.
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

Am I the only one who uses the silly port glasses with the silly sipping straws built in to them? I recently grabbed a full size set of them (the small eggs sized sippers were to small) with a matching decanter (glasses are anatomically correct as well) and the sit in a decanter by their built in stems.

If not using port sipping glasses I use my tasting glasses or white wine glasses.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Yes, I think perhaps you are! Although Aussie friends of mine rave about them, somehow I just can't bring myself to try. :)
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

differentdave wrote:Am I the only one who uses the silly port glasses with the silly sipping straws built in to them? I recently grabbed a full size set of them (the small eggs sized sippers were to small) with a matching decanter (glasses are anatomically correct as well) and the sit in a decanter by their built in stems.

If not using port sipping glasses I use my tasting glasses or white wine glasses.
Given the pasting these glasses have been given I have a sneaking admiration for a man who owns up to using them. So even if there are others they probably won't say so. Or perhaps this could become an "I'm Sparticus" thing.

No I'm not Sparticus for the record.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

differentdave wrote:Am I the only one who uses the silly port glasses with the silly sipping straws built in to them?
You mean headless cats?

#notsparticus
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Cecily. How dare you? This is no time for wearing the shallow mask of manners. When I see a spade I call it a spade.

Gwendolen. I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different.

And I have never beheld a ‘Port sipper’. Real men drink Port. Real men don’t sip anything.

#NotSpartacus
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Re-tweet #NotSpartacus

#YouAreOnYourOwn
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

differentdave wrote:Am I the only one who uses the silly port glasses with the silly sipping straws built in to them?
We've talked about these before and that ended up in this. Do you really want to go there again?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote:#notsparticus
[sackcloth]
Glenn Elliott
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Good manners meant I gracefully bent to group pressure to drink out of this last night. Unstable beasties. Two of my four companions knocked their sippers over wasting wine. An experience, but not one I have any great desire to repeat. Fiddly. Hard to fill. Small pours. Spillage.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I have discovered by serendipity this evening that Berry Bros Rudd champagne glass is very good for port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

LGTrotter wrote:I have discovered by serendipity this evening that Berry Bros Rudd champagne glass is very good for port.
That deserves a fuller explanation... ?

In terms of port glasses, I was recently in Porto, and at the Sandeman lodge where I did the 1790 tour. It finished in their gift shop where I bought 6 Riedel vinem port glasses for just over £20. But, they are branded Sandeman1790-2000, so a bit of old stock... But great value! A lovely Riedel glass, but good port would shine through regardless of glass type, I would think.

Simon
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Surprised no one has mentioned Zalto yet, which are fantastic across the range and an experience in themselves. For port, I prefer the general "white wine" glass to the sweet / fortified-specific glass. My favourite, no doubt.

The Riedel Sommelier port are also fantastic, and the vinum port very good. I must say though that I prefer the slightly larger bowl of the vinum Riesling.

I bought two cases of Marjorie Lumm's glasses four years ago that I use for the Port Club and they have held up very well and can go in a dishwasher.

Just my 2 cents
I think that Riedel recommend using the dishwasher (rinse wash, and glasses alone) rather than hand wash because it is gentler on the glasses. I don't tend to have a problem with water marks as long as I take the glasses out to dry reasonably soon after the cycle finishes.
Rob C.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Doggett wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:I have discovered by serendipity this evening that Berry Bros Rudd champagne glass is very good for port.
That deserves a fuller explanation... ?

In terms of port glasses, I was recently in Porto, and at the Sandeman lodge where I did the 1790 tour. It finished in their gift shop where I bought 6 Riedel vinem port glasses for just over £20. But, they are branded Sandeman1790-2000, so a bit of old stock... But great value! A lovely Riedel glass, but good port would shine through regardless of glass type, I would think.

Simon
To my shame I was drinking a half bottle of Lidl champagne (six quids worth of not much joy), and fancied a glass of port, so poured myself a one in the champagne glass. It worked a treat, a decent size for port, the bowl turns in quite tightly which focuses the nose nicely. In regard to the glass itself they are quite expensive and feel like they will break very easily.

That is a very good price for Riedel glasses.
RAYC wrote:I think that Riedel recommend using the dishwasher (rinse wash, and glasses alone) rather than hand wash because it is gentler on the glasses. I don't tend to have a problem with water marks as long as I take the glasses out to dry reasonably soon after the cycle finishes.
I never wash my wine glasses in the dishwasher, I think they leave a residue which taints the glass whatever cycle you do them on. Handwash only for me. But I appreciate this is less practical for a tasting.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

LGTrotter wrote:I never wash my wine glasses in the dishwasher, I think they leave a residue which taints the glass whatever cycle you do them on.
No soap, no rinse aid, just very hot water. We have our hot water set to 140 F and it makes many things easier.
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Regarding the fragility of Reidel glasses I was just drying my burgundy glass and it collapsed in my hands. I managed to stick two pieces of it in me. The bleeding has abated but the ache has not. I think that will be my last Reidel buy.