1815 Ferreira

Anything to do with Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1815 Ferreira

Post by PhilW »

I thought I'd seen this mentioned, but cannot find the post to reply to, so apologies if any duplication.
You may be aware that Ferreira have decided to auction off one of the bottles of the oldest VP in their cellar, a bottle of 1815 Ferreira VP. It was announced by Sogrape at the end of last year, that this bottle would be auctioned in London as part of bicentennial commemorations of the battle, with the money going to charity. Does anyone know when and where this is to take place?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1815 Ferreira

Post by jdaw1 »

Is it strange that such an old bottle should contain exactly the modern quantity of 75cl, and at the modern strength of 20% ABV?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote: Is it strange that such an old bottle should contain exactly the modern quantity of 75cl, and at the modern strength of 20% ABV?
Possible explanation: some kind of regulation which required compliance, so someone created a label which meets the requirements (regardless of the truth)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

PhilW wrote:Does anyone know when and where this is to take place?
Nobody knows? Can anyone PM me a contact at Sogrape?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:
PhilW wrote:Does anyone know when and where this is to take place?
Nobody knows? Can anyone PM me a contact at Sogrape?
Wilco.
AWGH
Cheap Ruby

Post by AWGH »

OK, so as far as I am aware (this is a centrally managed project, so I am slightly out of the loop) the auction will happen in May and most likely at the Tower of London, but it is all still TBC.

As for the ABV, I can ask, but the 75cl measurement should be reasonably accurate as the wines are part of a re-corking programme where by every 25 years the corks are renewed and one bottle is sacrificed to top up the others to the correct fill level.
AWGH
Cheap Ruby

Post by AWGH »

Hello Everyone, my name is Anthony and I'm a Portaholic. There, I've said it now.

I'm sort of new, but not new. I currently work for Sogrape (Sandeman, Ferreira and Offley), but this is due to come to a glorious end within the next few weeks.

It is nice to meet you all
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

AWGH wrote:Hello Everyone, my name is Anthony and I'm a Portaholic. There, I've said it now.

I'm sort of new, but not new. I currently work for Sogrape (Sandeman, Ferreira and Offley), but this is due to come to a glorious end within the next few weeks.

It is nice to meet you all
The warmest of welcomes.

As you have posted here do you have any thoughts on where and when for this auction of the 1815? And what will be glorious about the ending? So many questions...
AWGH
Cheap Ruby

Post by AWGH »

AWGH wrote:OK, so as far as I am aware (this is a centrally managed project, so I am slightly out of the loop) the auction will happen in May and most likely at the Tower of London, but it is all still TBC.

As for the ABV, I can ask, but the 75cl measurement should be reasonably accurate as the wines are part of a re-corking programme where by every 25 years the corks are renewed and one bottle is sacrificed to top up the others to the correct fill level.
Aloha! This is all I know right now. "The ending will be glorious, because it will be an ending." Tzun Tzu's 'Art of Avoiding Questions'
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

AWGH wrote:OK, so as far as I am aware (this is a centrally managed project, so I am slightly out of the loop) the auction will happen in May and most likely at the Tower of London, but it is all still TBC.

Interesting, thank you for the info as far as you know, and welcome to :tpf: .
Presumably every 25 years some lucky soul gets to drink the remainder of the sacrifice bottle once top-up is complete :D
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AWGH wrote:due to come to a glorious end within the next few weeks
Ooh, missus! Please do start an Introduction thread, and therein reveal your new home.
AWGH
Cheap Ruby

Post by AWGH »

I didn't say a 'happy ending'! Filthy man
AWGH
Cheap Ruby

Post by AWGH »

PhilW wrote:

Interesting, thank you for the info as far as you know, and welcome to :tpf: .
Presumably every 25 years some lucky soul gets to drink the remainder of the sacrifice bottle once top-up is complete :D
Yes, as I understand there is quite a lot of competition internally as to who will 'accidentally' be around when Luis and the team are doing this! And thank you for your welcome