Apostrophe crimes

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by djewesbury »

*sigh*
I sometimes think Glenn must have a secret room - a shed? an outhouse on his roof? - where he goes to use Apple products. It's a guilty secret but he sits and gazes at the interface and thinks, if it feels this right, how can it be wrong?

And always be careful of believing one of Alex's excuses. Currently if I try and type 'creme' Apple suggests 'cerne', presumably expecting that I'm taking part in a discussion about the Cerne Abbas Giant.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:*sigh*
I sometimes think Glenn must have a secret room - a shed? an outhouse on his roof? - where he goes to use Apple products.
Indeed.

My son Ross is currently forging a career in retail management. To date he has worked for Argos, Asda (Walmart), Krispy Creme and Sports Direct. By strange coincidence every one of those companies was the best company ever in the history of companies whilst he was working for them and all of their competitors were rubbish.

Methinks Glenn and Ross share a common trait :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I mock Apple not for the quality if their products, which us actually superb, but for their carefully cultivated hipster vibe, undeserved superiority complex, and positively Pavlovian reactions of their fanbois.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Also, autoincorrect attempts to learn your common mistakes so that it can make adjustments that are most likely to be correct for you. Thus comparing suggestions made for different people is pointless other than for the potential humor.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Note that my autoincorrect can't seem to figure out is/us and if/of, probably because 2 letters just isn't enough to go on.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

In my case, I've been using Apple computers since 1992. I think before this all I'd used were the ZXSpectrum we had at home and the BBC computers we had at school. So I had no chance really.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:I mock Apple not for the quality if their products, which us actually superb, but for their carefully cultivated hipster vibe, undeserved superiority complex, and positively Pavlovian reactions of their fanbois.
I have owned an Apple Mac since 1988. And the best Apple OS was Snow Leopard, being four versions ago (Lion, Mountain Lion, Yosemite, Mavericks). Since when downhill in usability and stability.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I used an Apple IIe in high school, Unix mainframes in college, IBM mainframes and DOS PCs during my early career, Macs when I switched to a career in games at Wizards of the Coast, then back to PCs (now Windows) since.

I can make all kinds of generalizations about each, but ultimately they're all just computers. Garbage in, garbage out. PEBKAC.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Now, I know I'm not the one here who's good at doing counting…
jdaw1 wrote:Just four of us, CPR, THRA and JDAW, met in the Green Room of The Boot & Flogger for a tasting with the theme ‘Blind with a clue’.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you: corrected. (I removed DRT from the list, but hadn’t yet noticed the failure to correct the number.)
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I beat the number man!
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My pathetic whingeing excuse is that I was busy creating and inter-linking TN threads, and had not yet had a chance to check my work.

Yes, I know, a pathetic whingeing excuse.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

The court is minded to show clemency given the previous good character of the defendant. But what a mistake to make.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I gave this offender (a man, it should be noted, of well-known dubious character, as I've often noted in the past; see above) the chance to correct his work in-thread. He chose to ignore that and so I present the court with his multiply-slapdash notes. He has let the forum down, he has let each of us down, but most of all…
jdaw1 wrote:2011 Niepoort Crusted, which CPR said came from the ’07 and ’08 harvests. Dark dark red-purple, 100% opaque. Very young and big-fruited. The great early- and late-palate, A lightness mid-palate made we wonder about crusted. Having spoken about crusted from a few minutes, the clue — “Intrigued by Alex’s tasting note of it” — made me recall the Old Vines Six Grapes. Mid-led by the clue: I should have stuck with Crusted.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My sub-standard work has been improved. Thank you for the (repeat) insistence on more careful handiwork.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I was recently reminded of the existence of this FTLoP thread on the subject of apostrophe in Port names.
Derek T. wrote:I always use an apostrophy except when I dont - Alex's description of the reactions of the apostrophites and the antiapostrophites is spot on, and makes me laugh :lol:
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

I cannot resist. After an American politician mixed up 'your' and 'you're', I was reminded of the following:

http://www.tickld.com/pic/t/381012

Please forgive the slight crudeness.....
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=92948#p92948]Here[/url] LGTrotter wrote:but esisted the urge to avoid any taint of doctrinosity.
Would the noun, in British English, be ‘doctrinocity’? This is a question. Compare, for example, this post written 17 minutes later:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=93036#p93036]Here[/url] DRT wrote:More accurately, it will be taking thousands of pictures of Pluto and it's moons during the closest parts of the flyby
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

{sackcloth-and-ashes}
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The Bank of England, in a press release entitled [url=http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Pages/news/2015/058.aspx]News Release - £20 banknote character selection and future banknote design[/url], wrote:Both the Committee and the Governor will make their decisions with reference to the character selection principles announced in December 2013 and will only consider people nominated by the public.
So for the people nominated by the public, they will “only consider” them, but for people not nominated by the public, the Committee and the Governor might both nominate and consider them.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Is ‘double-magnum’ a compound noun, so hyphenated, or should it be an adjective and a noun, so non-hyphenatedly ‘double magnum’?

Compare:
• We drank three double-magnums.
• We drank three double magnums.

I prefer the hyphen, but am willing to concede to a contrary consensus.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

jdaw1 wrote:Is ‘double-magnum’ a compound noun, so hyphenated, or should it be an adjective and a noun, so non-hyphenatedly ‘double magnum’?

Compare:
• We drank three double-magnums.
• We drank three double magnums.

I prefer the hyphen, but am willing to concede to a contrary consensus.
I guess if you drink three DMGs, you will not really care for the spelling anymore. :)
All joking aside, I would prefer the hyphen, too (though I'm not a native speaker).
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AW77 wrote:I guess if you drink three DMGs, you will not really care for the spelling anymore.
That would depend on how many are “we”, and who they are.

Separately, the use of “DMGs” is painful. Why is the ‘G’ capitalised? Indeed, why is it there at all?