1991 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

1991 Warre

Post by TLW »

80% Opaque. 12 hour decant.

Unsophisticated, simple, thin, sweet without that much flavour.

Drinkable, but not something I would often crave.

My current cellar defender.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Re: 1991 Warre

Post by griff »

Haven't seen a review for this in a while. While I thank you I am sad about your views. Based on your experience, do you think it could 'come good'? It is past the 20 year rule after all.

cheers

Carl
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

The Warre is still drinkable, and improved somewhat over the next couple of days. I have 11 more bottles of it, and will steadily go through it over the coming weeks.

In general, I find Warre a lighter port than a Fonseca, Taylor, Graham or Dow, and it has not been the WOTN when I have put it up against these houses in tastings. The 1991 vintage as a whole has not impressed me much either - although I hope that the vintage will improve over time.

Thus, whilst the combination is no powerhouse, it will most definitely be consumed - and the price is hardly a budget buster. It will also buy a smidgen of time for the stash of 92 and 94 to mature a bit (not that it will make much of a difference). I should try it side by side against the 1991 Guimarens.

Speaking of which, has there been a "horizontal" of the 1991 and 1992 vintages in the recent past?
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

I just one a month ago and thought much more of it than you....but it did fade fast. Not a great port, but lovely all the same. My notes...

Showing signs of faded purple into brick red, slightly opaque. Strong, yet dry nose of flowers and strawberry--one of the most odoriferous ports I've had. Very inviting. The initial sips are again dry and dusty with hints of leather, a robust aged lighter berry and a moderate to clipped finish--after awhile I could detect traces of chocolate and nuances of cooked red fruits. After another hour the finish extended and was improved. Comes of as moderately complex, such an easy one to drink, so beautiful. Curiously, the next day this was markedly worse; seemed to lose its verve and vitality as if it were open 4-5 days. There is room for further aging, although this drunk well now. Purchased HDH Oct 2013