2011 Quevedo

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2011 Quevedo

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep purple colour, opaque and very youthful. Fresh, fragrant bouquet; big, floral and herbaceous on the nose mixed in with lots of young blueberry. Sweet fruit on the palate leading the wave of flavour with huge levels of blueberry and tannin, very noticeable tannins that give a gripping and powerful structure; much more power and tannin that in the 2011's tasted a couple of years ago. Chewy finish, full of fruit and with a long length. This is very youthful, fruit-led port. Served blind, the powerful tannins led me to believe this was Quinta Vale d'Agodinho 2013. 91/100. Drunk 10-Apr-15 as part of the Doty Cup.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Re: 2011 Quevedo

Post by differentdave »

Drank the 2011 Quevedo VP last night while in the company of the winemaker Claudia and her brother Oscar (director, sales/marketing if not mistaken) as well as the NY distributor and friend Jeff. On a personal note both Claudia and Oscar were very nice, very knowledgeable and make some delicious wines. We tried the OScar white and red as well as the Claudia red. LBV, tawny and 2011 vintage port were also served.
The vintage port was popped and poured and I was very impressed that it was not closed but rather approachable. A little time in the glass and it was starting to sing. Lots of blackberry and similar dark fruits all over the the place.
The surprise for me was the 30 year old white port that they bottled in 2015 which was delicious. Sadly this was not available for purchase but I will be keeping my eye out for it in the future.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: 2011 Quevedo

Post by Chris Doty »

Thanks AHB for posting the note, and congratulations on your Doty Cup 2015 Victory!

I have had this wine a bunch (10+), and the bottle at the Doty Cup was representative of its current state of development (at least relative to my stash). That is to say that as pop n pour (as this was) it shows its character (rich but cool dark fruit, with loads of minerality / 'lush, rocky acidity'). Personally I have not yet identified 'herbaceous' in my experience with this wine - I think the fruit dominates - but there is something uncommon on the nose hinting at the steely coolness of the wine that I have called 'aluminum' (strange as that may seem).

To my taste, the 375 is yet fresher straight out of the bottle, with the 750 catching up after a good 18-24 hrs. I scored my glass 92-93, and would have likely gone to the 94-95+ zone with another day of development/enjoyment/contemplation. I am hyper-bullish the longterm future of this wine (e.g., my will stipulates two Methusalahs are to be popped on 31/03/2084, should I not be around to share them myself), and expect that it will long continue to serve as the benchmark against which I will judge all VPs from this century (the 2007 Noval also being a youngster standout).

Different Dave - Long time no see! Obviously jealous to have missed the Dynamic Duo of Oscar and Claudia in my home town! I am glad you guys had a great time and if you like older white ports, I'd highly recommend you seek out Quinta Euphemia! Cheers