1998 Sainsbury

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1998 Sainsbury

Post by LGTrotter »

Just says Symington family on the bottle, bought at the recent 25% off thing at £15/bottle so the price is reasonable. I am not sure I have drunk a 98 before and this will not encourage me to repeat the experiment. It is starting to mature, the tannins are soft but still has a dense plummy fruit at the front of the palate. Unfortunately it has very little taste anywhere else. I am being a bit unkind to it as it has not long been opened but seems a bit workaday. They used to have a 2003 'taste the difference' which I thought better than this one. 85ish points for those who care for such things, might get better, but not much.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 1998 Sainsburys TTD

Post by DaveRL »

I noticed this new vintage on the shelf a few days ago but passed. I bought a couple of their 1999 last Christmas and regretted it. Thanks for the note, added to my resolution to restrain myself, but sorry it was not good.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1998 Sainsburys TTD

Post by LGTrotter »

Yes I thought the 99 was a bit of a shambles too. This seems to have picked itself up a bit tonight, not actually good but less bad. A bit sweeter with rather more persistence on the palate.