1976 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1976 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

This was our choice for wedding port. Two bottles were poured, both decanted at 3PM and tasted around midnight (apart from a small glass straight after decanting).

Amazingly dark colour coming into the decanter, and both bottles showed very similar, with the only difference being that one bottle showed a little bit more typical Fonseca flowers on the nose and the other more warm sweet cherry fruit. Both were incredibly young, with chocolate, licorice, sweet cherries, tobacco, and a spicy, tannic finish. Deep, complex and way, way too young. This needs at least 10 more years to soften, and will give joy for many more decades to come. Amazing port from an otherwise weak vintage. If you pour this in a line up of '77's everyone will be fooled, including me. 93+ points.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Can't add much more to this, but would emphasize even more strongly the youth of this wine. I really could not believe this had been in a bottle for nearly 30 years. If anyone ever sees '76 Fonseca G. lying around someplace, do yourself a favor and snag a case. And do the rest of us a favor-let us know where you got it!

What a gift Ronnie-thanks for everything, especially the hospitality! But you outdid yourself with the Port.
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Can't agree more. An excellent port and more than a match for many a declared vintage.

I concur with the sentiment from SSD, thanks for your wonderful hospitality.
Port is basically a red drink