NV Quinta do Mourao Tawny 60YO (S. Leonardo)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: NV Quinta do Mourao 60yo tawny

Post by Glenn E. »

I will post notes later, but wanted to mention that this bottle was hand bottled at the Quinta and is thus technically a cask sample.
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep brown in colour with an opaque centre. A rich nose of a sweet madeira - lots of VA , nuts, iodine and olives; deep and very powerful. Thick and treacley texture. Rich and intense in flavour, complex with a dried date sweetness but a cutting and wonderful balancing acidity. An amazing aftertaste with a huge finish of stunning volume and length. Astonishing port, powerful, focused and everlasting. 98/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Deep, dark, concentrated and contemplative (my wife described it as tasting of liquorice). Reminded me of one of those strong Trappist Beers (Rochfort 10 comes to mind) in that it it certainly required supping rather than glugging. Very intense with molasses and a finish that lingered in the memory.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Quinta do Mourão 60YO tawny, technically a cask sample. Dark brown, 70% opaque. Nose of thick mis-sweetness Madeira. (Indeed blind I might well have guessed a Madeira.) In the palate this was massive and delicious. Smooth, prominent but balanced acidity (again, Madeira), mid sweetness, and extremely long. My note said “100YO Madeira fabulousness”. Excellent.