1970 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1970 Fonseca

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Gutted by missing out on the Queen's Celebration offline due to work commitments, I opened a bottle of my own on Sunday and have drunk it slowly over the last three days. I am pleased to be able to report that on three consecutive occasions Fonseca 1970 was voted port of the night.

This bottle was sourced from El Vino in March 2011 and was reported to have been stored in their cellars since being bottled by El Vino.

Mature red, the colour of black cherry juice; 80% opaque. A delicious nose that over the course of three days went from menthol dominated to now being full of fresh cherries and fresh chopped chives. Deep and powerful on the palate, full of dark plum and dark cherry fruit but with a perfect dryness and soft tannin core; so many layers to enjoy and luxuriate in - like lying in a hot foam bath after a hard day of physical work. A huge finish that slowly builds up and takes ages to reach a crescendo. A massive finish, full of dry licorice root and concentrated sweet aniseed. A massive port that is still 10-20 years away from my preferred drinking profile. Just fabulous. 95/100. Drunk 13-Sep-15
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1970 Fonseca

Post by DRT »

Presumably you toasted Her Majesty at the commencement of each of the three evenings?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1970 Fonseca

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:Presumably you toasted Her Majesty at the commencement of each of the three evenings?
And as many times as I could get away with during each of those evenings. I think that better half understood I was only drinking port in order to be loyal to HMtQ.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.