1988 Smith Woodhouse Madalena

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1988 Smith Woodhouse Madalena

Post by DRT »

Decanted 2 Hours
Lovely bright red colour. Deliciously fruity nose. Smooth, thick and classy with good levels of red fruits and a long mouthwatering finish. This is great juice - I need more!

From my two previous experiences I expect this to be even better tomorrow.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+20 Hrs
Darker than last night and now a spicy edge to the nose. Thick and viscous in the mouth. A touch of heat but nothing too distracting. Lots of red cherry and a huge long finish. My cheeks are literaly running with saliva (sorry) during the finish.

What I find most impressive about this port is the quality to price ratio. It can be bought from retail outlets at around £17, which is £5-£7 cheaper than lots of SQVP's are punted in supermarkets, and to my taste this would be in the top 10% of anything you would find on those shelves.

At £200 a case it becomes a no-brainer :roll: - if it ever came up at auction I'm sure it would feel like stealing :P

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+24 Hours
No differrance from 20 hours but wanted to tell you all again how nice it is 88) :D

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm avoiding Port like the plague. I want to be all virginal for tomorrow night. Sounds a lovely Port, but I'm more impressed with your general Port consumption. :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote: I'm more impressed with your general Port consumption. :D
It's part of my February Detox routine 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn