1985 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1985 Martinez VP

Post by KillerB »

Opened for Christmas. Stood up for two days in advance this still threw the most incredible amount of sediment. There was a little leaking from this one which is why it was chosen. I used a cheap funnel from a Fonseca box and the filter had no impact on reducing the sludge factor so I double-decanted back into the newly cleaned bottle using a Mr Lazy cotton hankerchief (another useful stocking filler); this cleared things up beautifully. Colour at this point was disappointingly pale and pink. A sip also revealed it to be a bit acidic and watery.

Many hours later when sipping after the enormous Christmas dinner that my sister-in-law had made, it had darkened significantly and had increased in body as well. Cherries were now popping out of it and a lovely milk chocolate finish made it immensely enjoyable. I didn't get any fairies dancing around anywhere but it was a fresh young thing that made life better.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

This has to be one of the worst 'first showing' Ports.

As you said, I have also only experienced pale, watery, flat, uninspiring rubbish with no nose. I wont gush again about what I think it morphs into, but there is no clue at its opening bow.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

Conky wrote:I have also only experienced pale, watery, flat, uninspiring rubbish with no nose.
This didn't strike a cord with my memory of your opinion on this port, but then I read again, and, behold, it becomes clear that you might still like it, a bit.

I think it's fab, and I'm pleased to read from KillerB that another bottle has passed muster.
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Gandhi,

Your right, it's my favourite port. It just takes a couple of hours to get going.
I go on about it too much as it is, so I'll stop there. :wink:

Alan
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I was reminded of this tonight by a friend who popped around a couple of days after intitial opening. I didn't tell him what he was drinking but he was taken aback by what he was offered. A bit of a 'Wow' came over him and he remarked on it again tonight.

Good Port is not normal; we are priveleged.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think this is an excellent port for drinking now. I'm sure it will go on giving pleasure for a decade or more but I think it is now on the plateau and should be enjoyed whilst it is at its best, which is now.

Beautiful juice and excellent value for money.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

KillerB wrote:Good Port is not normal; we are priveleged.
I like this quote. I know it's mine but it sounds good and I may use it again. I may even make a signature out of it.

Derek - I agree. Drink this stuff soon as I would be dearly disappointed if it lost what it has right now. I may save one for the future, just in case.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Psst....whatever you do with your nice phrase, dont Post it on the Front Page Picture. There was blue murder last time.

And anyway, isn't it spelt Privilege. Not much of a phrase if it's spelt wrong. :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote: Derek - I agree. Drink this stuff soon as I would be dearly disappointed if it lost what it has right now. I may save one for the future, just in case.
Good plan.
KillerB wrote:I like this quote. I know it's mine but it sounds good and I may use it again. I may even make a signature out of it.
WARNING: Quoting your own quotes can lead to ridicule :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Conky wrote:Psst....whatever you do with your nice phrase, dont Post it on the Front Page Picture. There was blue murder last time.

And anyway, isn't it spelt Privilege. Not much of a phrase if it's spelt wrong. :D
Yes it is - not sure what made me spell it that way, must be a blind spot word. No intention of putting it on the front page, that would be rude.