Ferreira and Casa Ferreirinha notes from recent tasting

Anything to do with Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Ferreira and Casa Ferreirinha notes from recent tasting

Post by Andy Velebil »

(Not sure where to put this, so move if needed. And if someone wants to split them into their own notes please do).

I recently had the opportunity to taste through the lineup of Casa Ferreirinha wines and Ferreira Ports and I was very impressed. This producer has managed to make some very good wines at retail price points from around $12 and up, not an easy feat. The wines were tasted non-blind, some were pop and pour and some had already been opened/decanted. These were "snap shot" notes and the wines were not evaluated over many hours or days, hence some notes being short.

Ferreira Dona Antonia Reserva White Port and Gin
With a dash of Grapefruit Bitters. I was skeptical until my first sip, then I had a hard time putting this down. It worked very well and was a great way to start the evening.

2014 Casa Ferreirinha Planalto Reserva Branco Douro
Tons of citrus and plenty of acidity. Well balanced. This would be an excellent pairing with shell fish. First vintage of this was 1964.
88 Points

2014 Casa Ferreirinha Vinha Grande Rose Douro
100% Touriga Nacional. I loved the restrained fruit on this and the amazing acidity. This is how Rose' used to be and I wish more people would stop making such fruit forward wines and go back to this style of Rose.
89 Points

2013 Casa Ferreirinha Esteva Douro
Fresh young red fruit, tar, a touch of soft rounded tannins on a medium body. The medium length finish rounded out what is a really nice $12 (retail) bottle of wine. A no brainer at that price.
86 Points

2013 Casa Ferreirinha Papa Figos Douro

This is one I've rarely had in the past, as it's not one typically finds in the USA. The grapes come mostly from Quinta da Leda. Lots of black fruit, tar, moderate tannins, medium-full body, and along luscious finish. My notes say "Wow, what a great QPR."
89 Points

2011 Casa Ferreirinha Vinha Grande Douro
Graphite, tart fruit, tar, plenty of young tannins, Bing Cherrries, and a long chalky finish. This needs a good decanting or more time in the cellar. Has very good potential and I liked it just a touch more than the Papa Figos. First vintage of this was 1960.
90 Points

2008 Casa Ferreirinha Quinta da Leda Douro

This was really closed up and tight and I had a hard time getting anything more than some black fruit that did start to show with a little time in glass. The potential was there but this one wasn't ready to come out to play. Give it a long decant or better yet, leave it in the cellar.
Not Rated

2009 Casa Ferreirinha Quinta da Leda Douro
This had a rich fruit style with some young oak that was showing out of place at the moment. I've had this wine a number of times as I own a bunch of it and I know that it needs a very very long decant. Awesome potential here but it suffered from lack of air.
91-93 Points

2011 Casa Ferreirinha Quinta da Leda Douro
This is what an open and ready to go Leda is all about. Bold fresh fruit with plenty of acidity and tannins to support long term aging. Lots of complexity on the palate and the finish goes on for minutes. I have no doubt the previous two bottles I had will come close to this when they are again ready for business. Lots of long term aging potential here. This is a must buy for any serious Douro wine lover.
94+ Points

1999 Casa Ferreirinha Callibriga Douro
Lots of forest and mushrooms on the nose. The palate had a mix of young and fresh fruit and some older notes mixed in. While the tannins are now starting to soften the acidity is still there. While it's in a good spot now, it should easily hold for another 4-5 years no problem. Then again, why wait!
92 Points.

Ferreira Quinta do Porto 10 Year Tawny Port
Bottled 2015. A mix of older and younger tawny's. Maple, toffee, strawberries, all wrapped up into a neat package with a long finish. This has always been on the of the benchmark 10 year tawny's.
91 Points

Ferreira Quinta de Braganca 20 Year Tawny Port
Bottled 2014. My notes were short on this one as I've had it more than any other 20 year tawny out there. And yet, I still love it and drink it every opportunity I can. Just stellar and one of the top examples in its class.
93 Points

2009 Ferreira LBV Port
Light bodied with a touch too much tannin for the fruit. Though this is unfiltered so with a few years of age it should balance out. Showing rather simply tonight as I've had it once before and know it to show better.
87-88 Points

2003 Ferreira Vintage Port
Some light eucalyptus, mocha, mint, chocolate, and rich dark fruit. Plenty of tannins and acidity to carry this for a couple more decades at least.
92-93 Points

2011 Ferreira Vintage Port
Mint and then a wave of massive tannins took over. Dusty plums and chocolate bar expand on the palate. Just when I thought it would be over the top the acidity kicked in and keep it from being too overly sweet. Both the palate and finish lasted what seemed like forever. This has great potential and one of the best examples of a young VP I've had from this house.
94-95 Points
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: Ferreira and Casa Ferreirinha notes from recent tasting

Post by RonnieRoots »

Great notes, thanks Andy.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks, Andy, when I have time I will create separate TN's linked to this thread.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

RonnieRoots wrote:Great notes, thanks Andy.
Thanks. Not often around my parts does one get to taste such a wide array from this producer so it was really fun and educational at the same time. While I knew they were making Barca Velha since the 50's, I had no idea they had also been making the white and Vinha Grande for so long.

DRT,
Thank you.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Andy Velebil wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:Great notes, thanks Andy.
Thanks. Not often around my parts does one get to taste such a wide array from this producer so it was really fun and educational at the same time. While I knew they were making Barca Velha since the 50's, I had no idea they had also been making the white and Vinha Grande for so long.

DRT,
Thank you.
Sadly, no Casa Ferreirinha at all here in NZ. Especially since I always loved to drink Qta da Leda with a bit of age on it.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Ferreira Dona Antonia Reserva White Port and Gin
With a dash of Grapefruit Bitters. I was skeptical until my first sip, then I had a hard time putting this down. It worked very well and was a great way to start the evening.
viniportugal did the same exact tasting in ny

I'd have to admit this was a shame that they cut it with gin.

The white port itself i find absolutely fantastic. Well worthwhile to drink on its own with out the mixers and I find it to be one of the best in their line up.

The rest of your tasting notes, i find the same exact relative rankings. Though from a point perspective, i didn't like them as much as you did, with the exception of the VP which is youthful, tannic, and stunning.

regardless, thanks for the notes!

interesting point on the LBV though.

I thought itw as at best a sub standard 80 pt wine. it was simple, straightforward, thin and sweet, offering nothing at all that a port drinker would find interesting. And considering this is across the entire land mass of the US, if it may simply be closed now.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz