1985 Niepoort Colheita (bottled 2001)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1985 Niepoort Colheita (bottled 2001)

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted June 2004:
This Niepoort Colheita port aged in wood casks for 16 years before it was bottled in 2001.

Niepoort believes that colheitas age further after they've been bottled, opposed to many others who say that the sooner you drink it after bottling the better it is. According to Niepoort 3 / 4 years of bottle age is ideal. So, a good time to open this one! I tasted it blind.

Very light, transparent rusty brown colour, with an orange touch in it. Looks beautiful in the glass. The nose is lovely and delicate: very fresh, with dried lemon- and tangerine peel, some sweetness and somewhat silty. A light medicinal touch (in a good way). Sniffing it again later it gained in complexity with nougat and caramel.

There is still some red fruit left in the taste, but it's something like half dried plums and candied fruits. Also candied sugar and a bit creamy, but also in the taste it is very fresh. All flavours are very refined and well integrated. There is a hidden power that I like very much (it shows when you keep it in your mouth long enough).

Nice, long finish, with bitter almonds and milk chocolate.

I guessed it correct to be the Niepoort (the choice in our cellar is limited to maybe 5 colheitas, so not an extraordinary performance). IMHO Niepoort is one of the best in making colheita port, and this one proofs it. Beautifully made, great port. LadyR and I paid 45 euros for this bottle. Money well spent. 93 points.