1945 Chaplin

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Sten
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

1945 Chaplin

Post by Sten »

Thank you for the information you give on Chaplin, a wine merchant in London, some years ago. Excellent!
During Christmas we enjoyed Chaplin’s vintage 1945. (for tasting notes see: http://www.vintageport.se). Very attractive and interesting.

Sten from Malmö
stenanders.ivarsson@gamil.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1945 Chaplin

Post by DRT »

Thanks for posting this, Sten.

I have changed the format of the subject of your post so that the software that updates the index will put this in the correct place.

Did the cork have any clues as to which shipper's vintage this was?

For those who want to go straight to the TN it can be found here.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Sten

Post by Sten »

Unfortunately not. We do not know which house it was

Sten
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Hi Sten - sounds like a very interesting bottle; a shame that you can't tell which house supplied, but great that it seems to have been very much enjoyed.
I don't suppose you have any pictures of this bottle/label/capsule, which I could add to the VPID, please?
Sten

Post by Sten »

Chaplin 1945a.JPG
Chaplin 1945a.JPG (197.86 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
Here is the photo of the lable
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1945 Chaplin

Post by DRT »

Interesting. I thought this was a BOB but it looks like Chaplin was an Oporto shipper. If anyone has access to a copy of Sellers' Oporto Old and New (1899) they should be mentioned somewhere in the index.

I'm at the airport en route to a Belfast emergency but can check when I get home on Wednesday.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Sten - thanks for posting the image; especially interesting since the label include the Chaplin logo. I will add this to the VPID, thank you.

I've just checked Oporto Old and New and there is no Chaplin listed in the index.
There was a British wine company called W. H. Chaplin & Co. who appear to have had cellars at 10 Villiers Street, Greater London Authority, WC2
London borough, and bought a winery at Malescot in 1919. They were still shipping and bottling wine from France (Bordeaux) at least up to 1959 though the labels on those bottles do not have any similar logo, so whether the Oporto Chaplin established in 1867 was the same family or not, I cannot tell.
Sten

Post by Sten »

Hello!

I have also check in Oporto Old and New without success. We had discover that Chaplin as a wine-merchant but we maybe quite wrong. You can read about our finding in www.vintageport.se

Kind Regards

Sten
stenanders.ivarsson@gmail.com