1985 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1985 Sandeman

Post by LGTrotter »

I thought I had given Alex the complete inventory for his glorious and dazzling spreadsheet, then I found this and decided I should drink the evidence of my hopeless stock control (also some Warre 83, some more Croft 94 and 77, but that's it, honest, probably).

The Sandeman is recently opened and my initial thought is positive, but I like the Sandeman style. Middlin weight, pink with a bit of brown at the rim, not much on the nose, something candied. The palate is quite hot with alcohol, which disguises the fruit. Glacé cherries with a touch of bitterness to get the juices flowing, some tannin, still a touch primary which makes me think it will truck on for years without getting much better or worse. Very good with cheese on toast. I may have an apple later to see how it responds.

Eight hours later and the wheels seem to be coming off this one. Not unpleasant, just rather watery on the finish and browner. I should like to revise my 'truck on for years' statement. More of a 'drink up' from me now. It was also rather found out by the apple. 'Buy on apple, sell on cheese' and how right they are.

At 30 hours decanted it has picked up again, very sweet red liquorice with sloes on the finish. Overall 88 points.