Cooking with Port

Anything to do with Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Cooking with Port

Post by LGTrotter »

As the forum's resident vegetarian I feel it appropriate that it has fallen to me to say thank-you for sharing this recipe. With it's combination of port, blue cheese and underdone meat I am sure it will be a great hit. They seem to eat little else around here. I can only assume they are all too busy converting vegetarians into chops for their tea to say thank you.

And a very warm welcome to the port forum, I hope you feel emboldened to continue to add to our discussions.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

flitcraft wrote:Here's my favorite port recipe. Start with two beef filet steaks. Smear generously with olive oil and sear on both sides till the beef is nearly done to medium rare. Leave in a warm oven while you get ready to make the port sauce. Deglaze the pan with a cup of ruby reserve or LBV Port. Reduce by about two thirds. Add 4 ounces of blue cheese and whisk till smooth and syrupy. Add the steaks back into the pan and let them marry with the sauce. Serve with plenty of crusty bread to soak up every last bit of the sauce...
A splendid recipe indeed, thank you for sharing and attempting to bring our vegetarian friend back from the dark side.

...and welcome to :tpf: :)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

LGTrotter wrote:Not quite cooking but here goes.

I have been suffering from a cold which has lingered rather, having had the usual suggestions of toddys and an unusual one of hot ginger cider from an auld fella, I found the following recipe in 'The wine quotation book'.

Garlic Port;

Chop a pound of garlic, put it into a litre measure of old port, and let it macerate for twenty days. Begin with half a liqueur glass every evening before the soup course, then slowly increase the dose to one or two liqueur glasses. This beverage is a sovereign remedy for chronic bronchitis.

Toulouse-Lautrec; L'Art de la cuisine.
That reminds me of the garlic wine I once tried. I suspect combining it with Port would make it only slightly more palatable.

Apparently James May and Oz Clarke tried it as well: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q47_7YvkUfo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Asked Rebecca for the recipe. Based (very) loosely on Rosemary Shrager's version in the Castle Cook cookbook.

Go to Scotland. Obtain a venison haunch (we obtained ours from Inveraray but no doubt forumites may wish to shoot their own) and 2 bottles of port (1 of tawny and 1 of LBV)
Drink half the bottle of LBV. Then roll and truss the haunch so it doesn't escape.
Rub with olive oil and season. Place in a suitably sized cast iron casserole and seal over moderate heat.
Add 1.5 bottles of port. Obtain more port if necessary. 2 halved red onions peeled. 2 large carrots quartered. 1 large stick of celery cut in half. 1 Tablespoon juniper berries whole. 1 Tablespoon white peppercorns whole. Bouquet garni. Put the lid on and cook 1.5 hours on low heat on hob (low simmer) until internal temperature reaches 70°C (use thermometer). Baste frequently. Place another bottle of port nearby to encourage returning to the hob to baste.
Preheat oven to 100°C (about gas mark 1 from memory). Remove haunch to plate and cover loosely with foil and place in oven. Reduce liquid until coating back of spoon. Strain into jug. Give the carrot to the dog. Return strained liquid to empty pan and add half a jar (2 heaped Tablespoons) of Duchy Original Cranberry sauce with port (or suitable homemade equivalent). Ready for serving. Best with crispy roast potatoes. Don't forget to give carrot to the dog.

Went down well with the non-vegetarians at our wedding on Islay. A repeat performance in Birmingham for a Bordeaux wine dinner sealed the deal.

cheers

Carl
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Excellent. I am particularly impressed with he ingenious method of dealing with the carrot.
Ernest H. Cockburn
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

Thats sounds just fabulous - I will have to try that one
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

DRT wrote:Excellent. I am particularly impressed with he ingenious method of dealing with the carrot.
Our dog loves cooked carrots or carrot pulp from making a carrot juice.

Picture of said dog and & owner in front a lovely Jag

F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A Corgi and a Jag?

Very Regal! :D

My dog does eat carrots, but only raw. I think he's trying to show support for my vegetarian wife :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

One of our cats eats broccoli. No, I don’t understand.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:My dog does eat carrots, but only raw. I think he's trying to show support for my vegetarian wife :roll:
Mine too, the old 'un especially loves a bit of carrot. Possibly it may be in support of vegetarianism, but it sounds like Jo is the one in need of support, hang tough Jo! Go vegetables!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:
DRT wrote:My dog does eat carrots, but only raw. I think he's trying to show support for my vegetarian wife :roll:
Mine too, the old 'un especially loves a bit of carrot. Possibly it may be in support of vegetarianism, but it sounds like Jo is the one in need of support, hang tough Jo! Go vegetables!
An unexpected twist in this tale is that Mrs T isn't particularly keen on vegetables. No, I don't understand.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:No, I don't understand.
Well, many of the rest of us don't like vegetables much; no reason that just because vegetarians don't like (or don't choose to eat) meat that they should like vegetables any more than the rest of us.

We don't have a dog. I will clearly have to send my carrot to Owen, unless DRT's life-coach informs me of an urgent β-carotene deficiency.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:DRT's life-coach informs me of an urgent β-carotene deficiency.
Describing DRT’s dietary imperfections does not require use of the word “deficiency”.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

What happens to the celery? Two unlucky recipients?
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Hmmm...haven't tried celery on the canine food disposal unit. An experiment beckons.