1983 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1983 Martinez

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Served on a pop 'n' pour basis and drink on 30/1/08.

Mid red colour, paling pink on the rim. Sweet and smokey fruit on the nose, but the smoke being created by a slight touch of bottle stink. A restrained entry with a bit of a sharp edge and a lot of age-softened tannins. The clear fruit presence is a little masked by the bottle stink flavours but makes itself known in no uncertain terms. The aftertaste is huge, lots of orange juice and cinnamon and lasts an incredible amount of time going through several different flavour profiles. Very impressive, despite the stink. 7/8 or 91/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

From the same bottle served blind...

I didn't take a TN of this but recall smelling it and declaring "I somehow recognise this, I think I've had it recently" I picked up another glass from the line-uo containing Warre 70, had a sniff and thought "no, it's not a Warre". I think I guessed Dow 77. It was revealed as Harvey's (Martinez) 1983 - the other glass I had in front of me that I didn;t think to smell before guessing was a Martinez 85 :oops: :oops: :lol:

Thanks to Mr and Ms Tsunami for bringin this along. A very nice bottle of port that I am sure would have benefited and shown even better from a longer decanting time.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I was absolutely convinced that this was Dow and the word 'Martinez' never once popped into my head, despite a bottle two years younger right next to it. Very nice Port with lots of cherries and berries followed by a good kick of pepper, acidity and tannins. Much more likely to last the course than its baby brother but needed more time than the pop and pour allowed.

I guessed Dow 1970.
Port is basically a red drink
Tsunami
Cheap Ruby

Post by Tsunami »

my second ranking of the eavening,

it was not perfectly showing, but since it was fresh shaked from the journey, and popt immediatly bevor tasting :? because we arrived late to the party.

still showing fresh young fruit, with a pear-caracter, a hint overripe strawberryjam and blueberry. mid body, good lenght.
nice port.

still have one left.
i don't beleve it will improve for long time
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Links to the other ports from the line-up:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn