1983 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1983 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

On Friday 1st April 2016 Daniel Jewesbury and his friend Mark O., Miguel Simoes and his friend Daniel Ron, Jay Hack, and Arlene and Stephan Bassett gathered in Lupulo (835 Sixth Avenue at 29th Street, NY 10001-4101) to sample some Graham’s vintages.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1983 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=99087#p99087]Here[/url] J a y H a c k wrote:1983 Graham Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
The most backward of the group. More so than the 1985. Still very tannic, but I do not know the decant regime. I rate this based upon potential, because it is similar in a linear and youthful way to the other Grahams we had tonight. Big red fruit but again with potential for complexity if it breaks out from the tightness, but it's got a long way to go. Definitely over 10 years unless someone forgot to decant. Maybe the guy who brought this can post the decant regime.

I have the 1983 Quinta do Noval, which was from the yuk period at Quinta do Noval. For every ounce of thinness and inadequacy there is in that, this has an equal amount o force and power waiting to break out. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

The bottles:

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 1983 Graham

Post by djewesbury »

I think this had about 6 hours if I'm right but it may have been longer - Miguel can correct me when he's back online. I thought, having had very poor experiences with top of the range 83s, that this was VERY good for an 83! It was a little sweaty in the nose perhaps, without being stewy; it was citric and fruity. It started with oranges in the mouth but fell off very quickly.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...