1970 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Martinez

Post by PhilW »

Ruby red 40% opaque, lovely smell and taste immediately post-decant; would have been happy with this as pop'n'pour, though it was actually drunk 12 hours post-decant. Right at the sweet end of the port spectrum, but still balanced, candied fruit with hint of strawberry and also a medicinal element on the initial taste (though no following "nyang"). Gentle and delicate rather than powerhouse, with good length and soft lip-smacking finish. Very good port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1970 Martinez

Post by Glenn E. »

The first VP I ever purchased (along with a '77 Royal Oporto) and I still have the bottle. I wonder when I'll open it?

Based on your note, would it be fair to compare this to a typical Ferreira VP style?
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1970 Martinez

Post by PhilW »

Glenn E. wrote:Based on your note, would it be fair to compare this to a typical Ferreira VP style?
I haven't had enough Ferreira to be able to make that judgement; it's a house I see very little of in the UK.