1985 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Post Reply
User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19745
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

1985 Graham

Post by jdaw1 » 23:37 Mon 18 Apr 2016

On Thursday 21st April 2016, the night before The Big Fortified Tasting, at the Boot & Flogger, we met for a double-vertical, Dow versus Graham.

Links:

DaveRL
Niepoort LBV
Posts: 273
Joined: 15:04 Tue 18 Mar 2014
Location: London

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by DaveRL » 11:05 Thu 21 Apr 2016

Image

Decanted 07.00 this morning. Cork came out easily, and intact.

Image

Hardly any deposit in coffee filter paper. Rinsed bottle contained a lot of sand sized soft particles.

A sip showed plummy slightly stewed fruit, alcohol not yet integrated. Hopefully will pull together by tonight.

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2438
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by flash_uk » 13:24 Wed 27 Apr 2016

60% opacity, deep red. Nose he candy and strawberry. Smooth entry, nice rounded mouthfeel, good fruit level, strawberries. Nice long aftertaste and great balance. Superb specimen of G85. Possibly the best bottle of this I have tasted.

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11378
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by AHB » 22:38 Tue 24 May 2016

Mature red, 60% opaque. Slightly harsh on the nose with lots of fruit, but not attractive. Nice texture on entry with sweet fruit and plenty of tannins but a little underwhelming. A long sweet, strawberry jam finish, sticky and a bit cloying. This is a nice port which is lacking a bit of acidity to be well balanced. 86/100.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3349
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by Glenn E. » 22:42 Tue 24 May 2016

AHB wrote:86/100.
:shock:
You're normally only 3-4 points lower in score than me, not 10. Could this have been a duff bottle in some way?
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11378
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by AHB » 22:45 Tue 24 May 2016

Glenn E. wrote:
AHB wrote:86/100.
:shock:
You're normally only 3-4 points lower in score than me, not 10. Could this have been a duff bottle in some way?
I'm sure it was a duff bottle, it was nothing like what I would expect from Graham '85.

What worried me was that Mike thought it was the best bottle he'd ever tasted. Something doesn't compute.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2438
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by flash_uk » 23:29 Tue 24 May 2016

AHB wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
AHB wrote:86/100.
:shock:
You're normally only 3-4 points lower in score than me, not 10. Could this have been a duff bottle in some way?
I'm sure it was a duff bottle, it was nothing like what I would expect from Graham '85.

What worried me was that Mike thought it was the best bottle he'd ever tasted. Something doesn't compute.
Very odd! I wasn't alone in liking this...and it was only a whisker behind the G70 WOTN. Maybe you had a dirty glass that tainted things?

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2475
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by Andy Velebil » 06:36 Wed 25 May 2016

A recommendation regardless....stop using coffee filters to decant with. About the worst thing you can use IMO. Strips the port of a lot of things.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2438
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by flash_uk » 08:22 Wed 25 May 2016

Andy Velebil wrote:A recommendation regardless....stop using coffee filters to decant with. About the worst thing you can use IMO. Strips the port of a lot of things.
I've always used chef's muslin cloth. Like this one.

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2475
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by Andy Velebil » 14:45 Wed 25 May 2016

flash_uk wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:A recommendation regardless....stop using coffee filters to decant with. About the worst thing you can use IMO. Strips the port of a lot of things.
I've always used chef's muslin cloth. Like this one.
I've found when practical, which is most of the time, is simply stand bottle up for a short bit, free hand decant most of it, then the last bit put through a filter so you get all the liquid out but not the sediment. That way 98% of what you decant has no chance of being stripped of anything. Otherwise unbleached cheese cloth (or similar) seems to work best.

Unscientific trial by some here and myself generally showed coffee filters are the worst of the three to use.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3349
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by Glenn E. » 16:54 Wed 25 May 2016

Andy Velebil wrote:I've found when practical, which is most of the time, is simply stand bottle up for a short bit, free hand decant most of it, then the last bit put through a filter so you get all the liquid out but not the sediment.
That's how I decant, too. As long as the bottle has had a day or two to stand, I can free pour all but the last ounce (often less) without any sediment. I do use a metal screen and funnel, but that's mostly so that I can see when the first tiny bits of sediment start to show up.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11378
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: 1985 Graham

Post by AHB » 22:11 Thu 26 May 2016

flash_uk wrote:
AHB wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
AHB wrote:86/100.
:shock:
You're normally only 3-4 points lower in score than me, not 10. Could this have been a duff bottle in some way?
I'm sure it was a duff bottle, it was nothing like what I would expect from Graham '85.

What worried me was that Mike thought it was the best bottle he'd ever tasted. Something doesn't compute.
Very odd! I wasn't alone in liking this...and it was only a whisker behind the G70 WOTN. Maybe you had a dirty glass that tainted things?
That was the night when I wasn't feeling well, a few days before I came down with a really rough 'flu. I suspect that my taste buds were unreliable at the time, even though I didn't think so.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

Post Reply