Fri 14 Aug 2015, Davy’s Woolgate, The Elliotts in London

What happened?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Fri 14 Aug 2015, Davy’s Woolgate, The Elliotts in London

Post by Glenn E. »

A splendid evening as usual. Many thanks to Laura, Elizabeth, and MaryAnne for gracing us with their presence.

I will post more when possible, but wanted to at least say this much before we board for Norway.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Wine of the Flight
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Wine of the Night
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Image
It is good to see that the gentlemen upheld the tradition of not troubling the ladies with the discussion of business. It's a pity that cigars were not permitted otherwise the scene would be complete.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:It is good to see that the gentlemen upheld the tradition of not troubling the ladies with the discussion of business.
What evidence do you have that the men were discussing business, and that the women were not?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:It is good to see that the gentlemen upheld the tradition of not troubling the ladies with the discussion of business.
What evidence do you have that the men were discussing business, and that the women were not?
Wolfgang's facial expression clearly displays an interest in Chinese mining share prices. What more evidence does one need?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Wolfgang's facial expression clearly displays an interest in Chinese mining share prices. What more evidence does one need?
My facial expression was mainly driven by tiredness after a hard working week and the serious discussion about the Vesuvio tasting which took exactly place if I recall correctly when the picture was taken. Obviously I was interested in the Mourao Tawnies; I hope to see Miguel and try his wines when I visit the Douro in November.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

A thoroughly enjoyable evening, different from the normal affairs (and none the worse because of it). Great to see Glenn again and meet Kari-and indeed everyone else's better halves. My better half certainly enjoyed it but was somewhat jealous of the fact that Kari had tickets to see Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet! Food was very good (despite a slight delay caused by a gas outage) and no problem with the strength of the air con this time. A good variety of Port styles on show (in keeping with the nature of the evening) although I just favoured the RP83 over the 60yr Tawny

I trust that the Elliotts are enjoying the Fjords and manage a glimpse of the Norwegian Blue ('beautiful plumage') :D
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Tasting... Cruise... Hamlet... work work work work... BBQ... back to work... whew!

I'm finally caught up - more or less - after a splendid vacation.

Many thanks to Julian and Alex for their organizational prowess, without which none of the tastings that I propose in London would ever happen.

I must also reiterate my thanks to the ladies for joining us. We have managed to maintain, at least temporarily, the deception that we don't take this stuff too seriously. But only barely. There were placemats after all.

I very much enjoy the less formal atmosphere and the conversation that flows throughout the tasting. I also enjoy the mixed styles all in one sitting. It seems to help with palate fatigue, at least for me. 12-16 VP or Tawny in one sitting can be a chore - admittedly a chore that I am happy to perform - but a chore nevertheless. Mixing the styles and tasting 4-6 of each makes it easier for me.

The Mourao was as I remembered it. I almost gave it "only" 98 points, but it held up so well when the food arrived that I bumped it back up to 99. It seems that almost nothing affects it. Its power, complexity, finesse, and grace are a package seldom matched in the Port world.

The RP83 was also as I remembered it. I routinely have it at the top of the vintage, even when sighted and my fondness for Graham's Ports has a chance to win out via label bias. I did think that this particular G83 was a little rougher than normal, or perhaps a little more spirity than normal, but even so I still think I would have preferred the RP83. It's in a very good place right now.

The two LBVs surprised me. They held up very well in the presence of top tier Vintage Ports. Sadly old bottle-aged LBVs seem to be a thing only in the UK. I only see them very rarely in the US, and when I do they're typically late 90s or early 2000s. Not at all in the same class as these two.

The Sandeman 33 was a great experience. It is a very unique Port, perhaps more so than any other that I have tasted. Why? Because it was originally intended to be a 40-yr old, but to me it tastes almost nothing like a 40-yr old. It is brighter, lighter, drier, and livelier than any other 40-yr old that I've ever had. And that bottle... wow! Producers take note: you don't need a large, ornate, super fancy wood box in order to make an impact with your packaging! Thank you, Alex, for sharing such a rare bottle with us.

Lastly, thank you to Rob for providing another rare bottle for us even though you couldn't make it to the tasting. Ni64 is rare even by Garrafeira standards, and of course is personally interesting to me due to it being my birth year. One of these trips we're going to have to get together! Perhaps I should coordinate my next vacation with your cycling plans?

This gathering was the perfect start to a wonderful vacation!
Glenn Elliott