1972 Warre Colheita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1972 Warre Colheita

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The Jubileum bottling for the Danish market, celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Queen of Denmark's ascension to the throne. Dark honey-brown in colour with a pale brown rim; 50% opaque. A gentle nose of sweet caramel, condensed milk and Turkish Delight. Initially hollow on entry, this develops some baked apple and burnt sugar on the mid-palate, accompanied by a lovely bitterness to the core of the flavours - a wonderful grapefruit. There is a very nice lightness and delicacy to the palate. The grapefruit bitterness runs through the aftertaste and finish. This is a nice port with an attractive elegance. 89/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

What are the odds this was one of the "industrial alcohol" ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

CaliforniaBrad wrote:What are the odds this was one of the "industrial alcohol" ports?
Based on this:
AHB wrote:89/100.
I'd say approximately zero.
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Glenn E. wrote:
CaliforniaBrad wrote:What are the odds this was one of the "industrial alcohol" ports?
Based on this:
I don't think that's necessarily the case. The industrial alcohol would have gone through taste testing before use and I've drunk a reasonable range of 1972 ports. I'm not convinced I'd be able to tell a 1972 port based on the flavour of its alcohol.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

AHB wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
Based on this:
I don't think that's necessarily the case. The industrial alcohol would have gone through taste testing before use and I've drunk a reasonable range of 1972 ports. I'm not convinced I'd be able to tell a 1972 port based on the flavour of its alcohol.
Part of why I asked. While it was obviously a major gaffe, my reading of the events makes it sound like it was the kind of thing that sounded worse than it was. "Industrial alcohol" makes it sound like they were fortifying with rubbing alcohol or something, rather than just low grade (but safe) spirits. Ive wondered if the lack of many good '72s probably is as much the case of a relatively poor year as much as the spirits used. I'll probably never have the opportunity to try more than a small handful of ports from the year to develop an opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Iirc, there wasn't a taste issue. It wasn't detected until a chemical test brought it to light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk