2004 Villa Gemma Chianti Riserva (£5 at Morrison's)

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2004 Villa Gemma Chianti Riserva (£5 at Morrison's)

Post by KillerB »

I spotted a little corner of the wine section at Morrison's that had bottles at £5 that appeared to be good value:

2006 Bertrand Capdevigne Petit Chablis;
Montagne St Emilion 2006

being the others (links in good time to please Julian).

This Chianti is not from the Classico area but is a Riserva, so has been aged longer and should be from the top Sangiovese grapes available for the vinyard - Gemma's place, whoever she is.

Deep cherry colour, low viscosity with little to no legs. Nose is plummy with a bit of acidity. Plumminess remains in the mouth with sharp cherry finish. Mouthfeel is light but pleasant. Overall, this is a very drinkable, lightweight Chianti and easily worth the £5. Most people will slug this down at a rate normally only seen at a TPF off-line and there would be few complaints. I got six, so also got the 5% discount; it was not an error of judgement. Basically buy.
Port is basically a red drink
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Having slugged another bottle of this with a roast chicken tonight, I can confirm that it is still good value and that I am now down to one last bottle. Slightly annoyed that I didn't get half a dozen more. This feeling will dissipate after I have drunk the last bottle, whereupon I will forget it: such is the life of a £5 Chianti.
Port is basically a red drink