Election night

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Election night

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Many of us have a tradition of opening a bottle of port and watching the election results come in. This year, for the first time since 2010, we will have an offline on election night after Theresa May attempted to usurp our long held booking. 14 of us will be consuming 50 year old port. Tom and I will retire from the tasting to go elsewhere to watch the results come in with the first result expected around 11pm from Houghton & Sunderland South, Sunderland Central and Washington & West Sunderland.

I've not decided yet what I'll open, but Tom has threatened me with "one of those odd bottles you pick up from time to time in a mixed lot which contains something you actually want".
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Re: Election night

Post by idj123 »

AHB wrote: 13:21 Wed 07 Jun 2017 Many of us have a tradition of opening a bottle of port and watching the election results come in. This year, for the first time since 2010, we will have an offline on election night after Theresa May attempted to usurp our long held booking.
Or should that be 'uslurp' or 'usup ? :D
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Their being sufficient leftovers from the tasting, my 50s era bottle of Gilbey's tawny returned home unscathed this morning, after staying up to watch the election results come in for a full two hours longer than my lightweight associates, and then walking the three miles from St James' square to Liverpool St to catch the 05.28 home. Staying awake and not missing my station required a massive effort though, aided by coffee and the puzzles in yesterday's Telegraph..

Have just spent the day stumbling round the house like a zombie, napping occasionally - maybe I should have gone to bed... :roll:
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by Old Bridge »

Your signature takes on a new meaning.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote:Their being sufficient leftovers from the tasting, my 50s era bottle of Gilbey's tawny returned home unscathed this morning, after staying up to watch the election results come in for a full two hours longer than my lightweight associates, and then walking the three miles from St James' square to Liverpool St to catch the 05.28 home. Staying awake and not missing my station required a massive effort though, aided by coffee and the puzzles in yesterday's Telegraph..

Have just spent the day stumbling round the house like a zombie, napping occasionally - maybe I should have gone to bed... :roll:
Hah! That's how I feel three days a week working graveyard. Napping a little doesn't really help much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I went to the ’67 tasting, then returned to the office, hoping that the exit polls would predict a result sufficiently clear-cut that there’d be nothing more to predict and I could go home. Instead worked until 05:30, went home for three hours sleep, and back to office. Long sleep Friday night has helped.

Edit: election night started with a 1967 tasting, for which there is now a Review thread.