1960 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1960 Fonseca

Post by jdaw1 »

To mark the occasion of Mr Wolfgang Starz having become British, some of his new compatriots gathered at The Boot & Flogger to drink Port Fit for a New Subject of Her Majesty.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1960 Fonseca

Post by jdaw1 »

F60, decanted 15:30. Red-red-pink, 40% opaque. Nose of lovely mature port, with red cherries. Palate starts with white pepper spice, then heat. Too hot to be perfect, alas. At finish more of the white pepper, and red fruit — perhaps cherry. Very good mature Port, but below the top rank.

This won’t improve. Drink up.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

I think to say the F60 needs drinking up is not correct as it is currently in such a nice "plateau" for drinking. Despite I agree taste wise it will not improve from here and it is in comparison to the 63, 66 and 70 a bit lighter in structure and finish in terms of complexity and fragrance of the port it is in my eyes matching them. So close behind. Again the cherry flavors with various spices make the port very attractive and a great port.
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Mature, balanced, rich and fruity, some heat. A little light, and a shade behind the very good 63 and exceptional 66, but drinking very well indeed. I also can't see it improving from here, but I think it will be very enjoyable for a good few years yet.