1972 Port

Anything to do with Port.
Linz
Cruz Ruby

1972 Port

Post by Linz »

I wanted to buy a 1972 port for a friend who is 50 next year. I have no idea about port but the following is available - what would people recommend please

Dows - £289
Offley - £289
Sandeman- £380
Taylor’s - £385
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 1972 Port

Post by MigSU »

A very unfortunate vintage year. I honestly wouldn't buy any of them, especially not at those prices. But if I had to, really really had to, I suppose I'd get the... Taylor's?
But I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me take a swing at this unfortunate reverse Sophie's choice. A Sophie's choice if she didn't like any of her children.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

The 1972 vintage is somewhat infamous for a contaminated / corrupt supply chain resulting in some of the Ports being fortified by an industrial alcohol rather than the traditional flavourless grape brandy (“aguardente”). I’ve tried a few over the years which have all been disappointing, apart from a Dow. The Taylor’s is, I think, a Single Quinta Vintage Port from Quinta de Vargellas rather than a full Vintage. Have a look at the tasting notes here.

At those prices, if I were looking for a present with a “50” on it, I might get a 50-year-old Madeira. Or if I were looking for a decent Port of about that age, I’d get a 1970 (which was the vintage of the decade and a classic year).
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

A 50 y.o. Madeira is an excellent idea, Jacob. It'd be cheaper and a much better wine.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

I wouldn't buy 1972 VP, the chances of it being good are relatively low.

1970 port is mainly bottled in 1972 which might be enough of a link. And, it's cheaper.

Or there is the 1972 Graham Single Harvest Tawny which will be reliably good but prices for that seem very high now.

I would probably buy 1972 Armagnac (several available for not enormous money) or the splendid 1972 Lemorton Calvados

Or Madeira as MigSU, suggests but it is not a wonderful year for that. There's a 1972 Blandy Malmsey of that vintage but it's not their greatest period. I have not had the 1972 Barbeito wine. You could buy the Henriques 50 year old Tinta Negra Mole though, that's quite special.
Linz
Cruz Ruby

Post by Linz »

Thank you all for your feedback, it is a lot of money if it’s not going to taste good. I will have a rethink.
Thanks for your alternative suggestions, much appreciated
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

As a 1972 boy… to be sure of success as a gift I think there are two ways to go. The best option is the already mentioned Graham’s Single Harvest Colheita tawny port which is amongst the best of the Colheitas and one I had earlier this year was magnificent. If not go for a 1970 vintage port that will have been bottled in 1972. 1970 was a wonderful year for VP and it nearly always shows well from any producer. I am sure they would enjoy either.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Linz wrote: 12:39 Tue 09 Nov 2021 I wanted to buy a 1972 port for a friend who is 50 next year. I have no idea about port but the following is available - what would people recommend please

Dows - £289
Offley - £289
Sandeman- £380
Taylor’s - £385
I picked up a bottle of the Offley 1972 from a reputable wine merchant for £72 in May (this year), so you don't necessarily need to pay these sort of prices.

However, would equally suggest that a 1970, bottled in 1972, might be a better bet.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

You could also get a bottle of the Ste. Eufemia Special Reserve White Port. I've most commonly heard that it is a 1973 Colheita Branco, but there's also some discussion claiming that it's a 1972, or that it's in fact both blended together.

But as nac said, the easiest answer would be to get a 1970 VP bottled in 1972 (which would be most of them).
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I disagree with most of you! While 1972 might not have been the best of Port vintages, I have drunk quite a few bottles with pleasure. And there is definitely something romantic for a Port lover to drink a Port from the year of their birth.

Take a look at www.wine-searcher.com to see what 1972 Vintage Ports are available and at what price. Consider buying a month’s subscription as there are often other, cheaper, retailers who appear to subscribers. (You have to sign up to auto renew the monthly subscription and then email to cancel. I’ve done this a few times and they are quite good about it.)

Of the wines mentioned, Dow is the one I’ve enjoyed the most, Offley is the one most often seen but the Graham Single Harvest Tawny is a fantastic wine and would be my recommendation.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I have to agree with the majority, that in general I not would pay the current anniversary prices for a 1972 vintage port with the general quality being so poor and high chance of expensive disappointment. There is one potential exception for me - the Rebello Valente 1972; I've only had it once, as part of a vertical of Rebello Valente, where it showed very well. Usually it would be reasonably priced, if you come across it (it's not common).

If your friend likes the tawny style, then the Graham 1972 single harvest tawny is excellent and would be my choice. If the ruby style then it would be the Rebello Valente 1972 if available, and if not then any of the excellent 1970 ports bottled in 1972.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Having also been lucky enough to have a glass from that same Rabello Valente 1972, I would agree it was most lovely and would be the best VP of the vintage I have tasted so far. Unfortunately it was nac’s last bottle of this and there is no more from where it came. So if anyone sees it up for sale or auction, please let me know so we can try and secure one for a 1972 horizontal next year.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Are there a few decent 1972 VP's, yes. Is it worth paying a lot for them, no. Try and find a Colheita (Single Harvest Tawny / Vintage Tawny) from 1972 which will offer much better experience for the price.
Linz
Cruz Ruby

Post by Linz »

I can only find the grahams 1972 Single Harvest colheita Tawny Port on a site called vintage wine and port it £455 for 75cl bottle and presentation box.

Is this what I should expect to pay?
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Linz wrote: 15:31 Sun 21 Nov 2021 I can only find the grahams 1972 Single Harvest colheita Tawny Port on a site called vintage wine and port it £455 for 75cl bottle and presentation box.

That sounds about right; it's certainly not cheap, but in this case you'd be getting a premium colheita for your money, whereas with the other '72 vintage ports we've been discussing you'd be getting an average/poor port for most of the same amount. The alternative of a '70 vintage port bottled in '72 would also get you a premium vintage port (in the ruby style, rather than the tawny style) for £100-180 for a good brand in excellent condition.
Linz
Cruz Ruby

Post by Linz »

Thank you, appreciate your help and advise
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Linz wrote: 15:31 Sun 21 Nov 2021
It is a premium price, but for a premium bottle of Port. If it is within budget then the important thing is that it is a fantastic Port that won’t disappoint or have the quality risk that a VP from the same vintage may have. Whatever you decide I hope that the 50th celebrations go well, enjoy!
Linz
Cruz Ruby

Post by Linz »

Well to me it’s crazy money for a bottle of anything haha but he’s only 50 once and he would like it (I think) so that’s all that matters 😀
Thank you
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

To be clear, £455 for a 75cl bottle is highway robbery. But they can get away with it both because Ports from 1972 are extremely rare, and because Graham's Single Harvest Tawny line has been pretty consistently excellent. An excellent Port from an extremely rare vintage released for 50th Anniversaries is going to be markedly more expensive than "normal" pricing for similarly good Ports from easily obtained vintages.

As an example, the 1974 Barros Colheita in the special edition 25.Abril bottling can be found for under $100. You can get it at Garrafeira Nacional in Lisbon, which is not known for good prices, for $110. I can get it here in the US for around $150. And it is also an excellent Tawny Port, though sadly not from the year you're looking for.
Glenn Elliott
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

Glenn speaks the truth.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Glenn E. wrote: 19:34 Mon 22 Nov 2021 To be clear, £455 for a 75cl bottle is highway robbery. But they can get away with it both because Ports from 1972 are extremely rare, and because Graham's Single Harvest Tawny line has been pretty consistently excellent. An excellent Port from an extremely rare vintage released for 50th Anniversaries is going to be markedly more expensive than "normal" pricing for similarly good Ports from easily obtained vintages.

As an example, the 1974 Barros Colheita in the special edition 25.Abril bottling can be found for under $100. You can get it at Garrafeira Nacional in Lisbon, which is not known for good prices, for $110. I can get it here in the US for around $150. And it is also an excellent Tawny Port, though sadly not from the year you're looking for.

A fairer comparison would be to compare the latest Graham’s single harvest release, the 1974 which wine searcher currently has at approx £ 335 inc tax. Graham’s have pitched themselves at the premium end of the Colheita/Single Harvest market and the prices are moving upwards all the time accordingly. I would venture a guess that in 22/23 months time when these have sold through a bit and we get closer to the 50th anniversary market for 1974, that the retail price is above the £455 that the 1972 is. I think the days of cheap prices for quality old colheitas is drawing to a close now that the awareness of what wonderful Ports they are, is increasing all the time and the stocks are constantly reducing.

Obviously it is a lot of money to spend on a single bottle, albeit a premium quality wine from 50 year ago that is exceptional. But if you looked at premium Rhône, Bordeaux, Burgundy or Napa bottles that were of a short supply limited production, guaranteed to be in great condition and from a top producer, would you fancy you chances of getting a bottle for less than £ 500?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Doggett wrote: 21:46 Mon 22 Nov 2021 A fairer comparison would be to compare the latest Graham’s single harvest release, the 1974 which wine searcher currently has at approx £ 335 inc tax.
I disagree... comparing one of Graham's prices with another of Graham's prices isn't "fair" at all. Comparing their prices with their competition's prices is how you determine whether or not their prices are in line with market trends.

I understand what Graham is trying to do, but the reality is that their Single Harvest Tawnies are not better than their competition's. Graham's tawnies have improved dramatically over the last 10 years, but all that's done is catch them up (mostly). Taylor is trying to do the same thing with their 50 year old releases. That's not worthy of extreme pricing, at least not to me. I think Taylor's prices have been pushing the limit, and Graham's prices are 50% higher than Taylor's. Just to demonstrate how crazy these prices are, one can find a 1937 Kopke Colheita for the price of this Graham. That's 35 years older and with a well-known and well-established pedigree.

I don't think you can reasonably compare Port prices to any other wine, nor do I want to be able to do so. Port is its own market, and while any reasonable businessperson would prefer to be able to charge Bordeaux prices for their wines, the market won't bear it for Port.
Glenn Elliott
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Glenn, I think one can reasonably compare the prices of different types of port of the same sort of age from different houses. Alex rightly pulled you and I up the other week when we were expiating on the £800+ tag of the 1940 Graham (which is a truly astonishingly good wine). Price is on a par with VPs of the early 1940s, retail, so fair enough. The problem with the Graham 1972 is that it is twice the price of other ports of the same sort of age; and even the same type of port of the same sort of age (VWAP had some Taylor 1970 Colheita for £165 in the sale yesterday; I was sorely tempted).
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

I think the comparison of market prices for two Single Harvests from ‘weak’ vintages by the same producer - one of which is right in the cusp of peak Anniversary market appeal and one that is a couple of years off, to be a fair one.

I agree that the prices are high and more than I would want to pay or afford, but I think Port has been undervalued for years and there is a bit of catch up in the market happening. This is especially true in the Tawny markets of Colheitas and Aged Tawnies. As we all know, rightly or wrongly, the market price is dictated by the willingness of someone to pay it. All the efforts of the Port producers to get a wider audience for Aged Tawnies and Colheitas, combined with tapping into Anniversary markets is leading to where we are now. What was the price for a Sandeman 40YO ten years ago compared to now?

I think we can be guilty of comparing prices to what they were five or ten or more years ago and bench marking them to that, remembering what amazing value Ports we could get before this new trend for premium Single Harvests shifted the dial. Unfortunately for us, Graham’s and Taylor’s will be dragging the prices up of all the other Producers too, and the price of the Barros 1974 will be far above is current level in a couple of years as will the Kopke ‘37 if there is any left.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Simon, the wine buying market is the wine buying market. But, most of us don't just buy one thing - wine is substitutable. To illustrate - in the eighties I bought mainly claret. In the nineties and noughties I bought mainly madeira, burgundy, mosel and rioja. Now I am buying mainly port, and some claret again. I buy what is unfashionable but good. I'm not buying these single harvest tawnies, because for the same money I can buy a case of good claret. I accept the wines are good. But with rare exceptions they are not wines for aficionados. They are wines for anniversary buyers.