A new section to our Forum

To record tasting notes and thoughts on fortified wines we might try which do not come from the demarcated region of the Douro Valley
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

A new section to our Forum

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just created a new section for our forum, for us to use to record tasting notes and thoughts on fortified wines which don't come from the Douro Valley. Over time I will slowly move the tasting notes on other fortified wines from the Other Wines section to here.

We can, of course, also use this section for fortified wines from the Douro which aren't Port (like Douro Moscatel or Quinado, which is now a Vinho Generoso) but my preference is to put everything from the Douro Valley in the Port Tasting Notes section of the Port Forum and to use this section for all other fortified wines.

Any other views?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: A new section to our Forum

Post by MigSU »

I think non-Port Douro fortified wines (like Moscatel) should also be posted in this section. It just feels...neater.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Assuming that this forum is going to be reasonably low-traffic is there any objection to being a bit more flexible with the titles of threads than in the main Port forum? For example, can I have one called “Villa Oeiras Carcavelos” and post my thoughts about the range? Flexibility seems to work quite well in the Other Wines section.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

JacobH wrote: 12:23 Thu 30 Jun 2022 Assuming that this forum is going to be reasonably low-traffic is there any objection to being a bit more flexible with the titles of threads than in the main Port forum? For example, can I have one called “Villa Oeiras Carcavelos” and post my thoughts about the range? Flexibility seems to work quite well in the Other Wines section.
That's probably a good idea.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JacobH wrote: 12:23 Thu 30 Jun 2022 Assuming that this forum is going to be reasonably low-traffic is there any objection to being a bit more flexible with the titles of threads than in the main Port forum? For example, can I have one called “Villa Oeiras Carcavelos” and post my thoughts about the range? Flexibility seems to work quite well in the Other Wines section.
I have no objection at all. I might do the same with some South African fortifieds.

mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 23:01 Fri 01 Jul 2022 I have no objection at all. I might do the same with some South African fortifieds.
I bought a magnum of Vin de Constance a little while ago. Never tried any before, but was offered a terrific deal. Supposed to be something.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

mosesbotbol wrote: 13:31 Thu 14 Jul 2022
Alex Bridgeman wrote: 23:01 Fri 01 Jul 2022 I have no objection at all. I might do the same with some South African fortifieds.
I bought a magnum of Vin de Constance a little while ago. Never tried any before, but was offered a terrific deal. Supposed to be something.
It's many years ago since I had much to do with Vin de Constance, but if my memory is correct I think it's a late harvest sweet wine rather than a fortified wine.

mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 18:45 Fri 15 Jul 2022
mosesbotbol wrote: 13:31 Thu 14 Jul 2022
It's many years ago since I had much to do with Vin de Constance, but if my memory is correct I think it's a late harvest sweet wine rather than a fortified wine.
You know; you're right. Not sure why I thought it was fortified. I just saw South Africa knew I bought something of interest from there.... Oh well. :oops:
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I bought a case of Vin de Constance from Klein Constantia a few years ago after hearing a radio programme about it. Before listening to it, I didn’t know anything about it. Particularly its very long history (back to the 17th Century) and that it was the first SA wine to become popular in the UK. It’s mentioned by Jane Austin in one of her novels, for example.

I’m not a big drinker of unfortified sweet wines but I’ve really enjoyed the bottles of it I have drunk so far. Decent complexity, particularly on the nose, and enough acidity to balance the sweetness.

Not sure when I would drink a magnum of it, though!