This port is nicer than that one

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

This port is nicer than that one

Post by djewesbury »

It can now be reported that it is possible to find one port more enjoyable than another, even when that other has a very well-deserved much better reputation. This just in from a drinker in Sweden:

The other day we opened what may have been one of the last Ayr-bottled Corney & Barrow Fonseca 1970s, stored in Ayr from bottling until purchase in 2014 or so and then in a very good cellar in Belfast and latterly in one almost as good in Sweden. A fine port, one that would knock your socks off with its youthful élan. Perhaps it could have lasted another 50 years without suffering any great diminution. Yes, it had stories to tell of the decades through which it had gently transmuted and of the fine flavours it had developed and was still developing. In short, however, it was not quite there yet. How is it possible to be disappointed with such a great port? Possibly one of the greatest of the later 20th century. It wasn’t in a difficult phase; it was not quiet or surly or at all sullen. It beamed. But the flavours it offered, marvellous as they were, were perhaps not those that were expected.

Today we opened a Warre 84 unfiltered LBV which is by any reckoning a far simpler and ‘inferior’ wine but one that has aged a lot quicker and which is at a very nice stage, bearing very fine late flavours and, which is the point, satisfying beyond expectations.

Perhaps such peculiarities are only to be expected in this land of winter trolls and mischievous forest spirits. (Or maybe there’s another reason Warre tastes so good here, a country which hasn’t had a war(re) for hundreds of years?)

God jul, port forum friends, may you also find yourselves surprised by your bottles.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: This port is nicer than that one

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Such a wonderful thing to have happened.

Have a wonderful Christmas in the snow, while we marvel at how grey and wet the sky can be.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

(Ok ok I’m not a fool. Yes the F70 was far nicer, obviously. Had it survived more than an hour it might have been very interesting the next day too. But it was so fruit forward still, after 50 years. And here is my W84LBV giving me nice late flavours, spice, cedar, cigar box, as well as delicate berries; but it’s so much less structured and well behaved. It’s had a less expensive schooling, it hasn’t learned the best manners, and it simply doesn’t have the discipline. Yes yes. I know. The point was the surprise. Isn’t port wonderful that way?)

Hello Alex! Merry Xmas to you and all yours. See you somewhere soon!
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Merry Christmas Daniel. Hope all well in Sweden!
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Yes, Merry Christmas Daniel and to one and all!
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Hi Daniel, Merry Xmas, and glad the F70 is standing the test of time. If it's the bottling I think it is, I believe I have one left (though I don't remember seeing it for a long time...). Hope you have an enjoyable break with good food, wine and company. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Thanks all and the same to you too. Hope you’re all nicely incapacitated by now!
Daniel J.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

And I still have the two you gave me, haven’t touched them yet as I’m struggling to clear a path to them. Resolution for 2024 to buy less Port and start drinking the good ones.

Nollaig shona daoibh go léir.