Not-Port offline: Sake

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Not-Port offline: Sake

Post by SushiNorth »

As I mentioned when I came in here a while ago, my other alcoholic hobby is japanese saké. It is the opposite of port in many ways: its brewing process bears as much in common with beer as it does wine, its not even made of grapes, its light on the tongue, and -- with rare, aged (koshu) exceptions -- it's best in its first year. And yet, it has subtle notes, a long finish, a high alcohol content, and a unique grace which are attributes we often associate with port.

As such, I'd like to plan a little sake tasting for any port-heads who can get to NY. I think you'll have an interesting perspective on the whole thing given extensive experience tasting wines, and we're all a friendly group :)

I've a long list of BYO japanese restaurants in NY, but for those who are interested, would you prefer Noodles/Kitchenfood or Sushi?

I'd suggest we just do a general Junmai Ginjo tasting, with
Dassai 50 (good newcomer)
Wakatake (good, reliable brand)
Tsukasabotan (if i can find it)
Nanbu Bijin (better warm, but interesting for comparison)

and one Koshu at the end. Sake prices (at a quality on par with the ones above) are $25-$35/750ml, though the Koshu will be a bit pricier. Daiginjo sakes are much more expensive, but their gentle and often floral flavors tend not to appeal to red wine enthusiasts.

If this interests any of you, respond and we can start planning.
Last edited by SushiNorth on 21:48 Mon 02 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Admins 1 & 3: Should this be moved to the Off-line section to increase visibility? Admin1 organised a Dutch beer swigging contest there so Sake-swilling should be allowed :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:Admins 1 & 3: Should this be moved to the Off-line section to increase visibility? Admin1 organised a Dutch beer swigging contest there so Sake-swilling should be allowed :wink:
Rules of the section:
Organise events to meet up and drink Port. You may, of course, forego the drinking and just meet, but we’re sure that drinking would be more fun.
Although it says "drink Port", it also says "forego the drinking", with the "of Port" implied. Thus any meeting maybe included.

Hence, it has been moved.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

saké tasting

Post by jdaw1 »

1. If such threads are started by known port lovers, they should be allowed in the tasting-arranging section.

2. Yes, I’m very interested in a saké tasting (does the transliteration really have an accent?), as might be the wife. I have no idea what I want to taste: would you be willing to choose and buy and whatever, with the cost being split amongst those attending?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: saké tasting

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:1. If such threads are started by known port lovers, they should be allowed in the tasting-arranging section.

2. Yes, I’m very interested in a saké tasting (does the transliteration really have an accent?), as might be the wife. I have no idea what I want to taste: would you be willing to choose and buy and whatever, with the cost being split amongst those attending?
Yes, and that accent mark is my bane. I have to hunt it down every time i post on the topic! That said, i tend to skip it when i get rolling...

And yes, i figured we'd probably do something more like splitting cost than sending everyone out to find/buy some. I only have access to retail, but I have some good retail sources :) I'd like to do this in June or July so that, if there are any new sake* fans, there is still time to get tix for the big Joy of Sake tasting at the NYC Puck building in september.

As for tastes, I am aiming for more full-bodied sakes with some familiar notes like licorice or fruits, and i could have sworn the aged sake i had was a sweet sherry. I also want to give us an excuse to get together in NYC at low cost :)
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Definitely interested.

While not even close to an expert, I have personally found that with sashimi, daiginjos suit me better.

perhaps we can add some to the tasting?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:Definitely interested.

While not even close to an expert, I have personally found that with sashimi, daiginjos suit me better.

perhaps we can add some to the tasting?
Sounds like one vote for sushi/sashimi and one for adding a dai ginjo to the mix :) FYI, i'm friendly with mr urbansake.com so I'll bounce a wine list off of him to get an extra opinion.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Saké placemats

Post by jdaw1 »

When you have a list of the sakés that we will taste, please do post. I traditionally make a placemat for each tasting (e.g., e.g., e.g., e.g., e.g.), and would want to do so again.

However, alas, names must be in a Roman or extended-Roman script. Japanese alphabets are beyond my competence, partly due to the failure of this request for help.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Dassai.. - Wakatake.. - Tsukasabotan.. - Nanbu Bijin..

To hear those words (or similar) just walk past your local boozer at chucking out time.. :P

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Saké placemats

Post by g-man »

jdaw1 wrote:
However, alas, names must be in a Roman or extended-Roman script. Japanese alphabets are beyond my competence, partly due to the failure of this request for help.
That's completely acceptable for Japanese, as Katakana (fragmented script) for beginning Japanese classes is always written in Latin alphabet.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Just a status update:
I know there were questions about when/etc (and I saw that post about Tim's sake class). I tried a whole bunch of places; the top choice though seems like it may get a liquor license before I'll have free time to host this. I'll give them a call today to figure that out. I have a couple other places to try, too, but they were all closed when I made my rounds.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

no need to stress it out, the weather is insanely hot and I'm happy not getting loaded at a restaurant and sweating it out all the way home.
88)
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: Not-Port offline: Sake

Post by SushiNorth »

Remember this thread? Well I went to Mitsuwas yesterday and, aside from acquiring some sashimi (yesterday's lunch) and supplies for Oden (tonight), there was a sale on Ozeki.

Ozeki generally sucks -- it sells a low-grade sake which is one of the three or four you encounter steaming hot as the "House sake" at a sushi shop. However, this was different -- Ozeki had three bottles of higher end sake:
* Ozeki Yamadanishiki - likely just a Junmai Ginjo, but made from the well respected Yamadanishiki rice
* Ozeki Komatsu Tatewaki Junmai Taruzake - sake aged in cedar
* Ozeki Osakaya Chobei Junmai Daiginjo - Premium sake (the rice has been milled down more than in regular Junmai to make a lighter, more refined taste)

In addition, I picked up some of their reliable Nigori (unfiltered sake), and for proper comparison, a ringer: Dassai 50 Junmai Ginjo.

The question to answer is if Ozeki's Yamadanishiki or Osakaya Chobei can escape the ill repute brought on by the cheap bulk-sake the company is known for. The Nigori and Taruzake are just around for fun.

Also, when/where? When is there a spot on our calendars, and would folks be interested in coming to westchester?
JoshDrinksPort
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

SushiNorth wrote:Remember this thread? Well I went to Mitsuwas yesterday and, aside from acquiring some sashimi (yesterday's lunch) and supplies for Oden (tonight), there was a sale on Ozeki.

Ozeki generally sucks -- it sells a low-grade sake which is one of the three or four you encounter steaming hot as the "House sake" at a sushi shop. However, this was different -- Ozeki had three bottles of higher end sake:
* Ozeki Yamadanishiki - likely just a Junmai Ginjo, but made from the well respected Yamadanishiki rice
* Ozeki Komatsu Tatewaki Junmai Taruzake - sake aged in cedar
* Ozeki Osakaya Chobei Junmai Daiginjo - Premium sake (the rice has been milled down more than in regular Junmai to make a lighter, more refined taste)

In addition, I picked up some of their reliable Nigori (unfiltered sake), and for proper comparison, a ringer: Dassai 50 Junmai Ginjo.

The question to answer is if Ozeki's Yamadanishiki or Osakaya Chobei can escape the ill repute brought on by the cheap bulk-sake the company is known for. The Nigori and Taruzake are just around for fun.

Also, when/where? When is there a spot on our calendars, and would folks be interested in coming to westchester?
if westchester can ensure the proper purveyance of fresh raw fish, I'd be welcome to visiting, otherwise while Ozeki may be able to escape ill repute,
I don't think chinese owned japanese restaurants in westchester would be able for me =)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

http://www.catalinaop.com/

perhaps we can set up a date and pick up a few pounds Josh?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote: if westchester can ensure the proper purveyance of fresh raw fish, I'd be welcome to visiting, otherwise while Ozeki may be able to escape ill repute,
I don't think chinese owned japanese restaurants in westchester would be able for me =)
Yeah, the chinese-owned places in NYC rarely work for me, either. We have a few up here that are actually good, but the japanese-owned ones (almost always good) are 40 minutes away. Usually the way I do these is to either make a trip to Mitsuwas, or have a friend coming from NJ stop by there, they pick up sashimi grade fish and we cut it here. In addition, there's usually a selection of Okonomyaki, Oden and fried stuff. I started this post 2 hours ago -- oy!
Anyway, food is easy to manage, the wine is cheap relative to port (I spent $100 on everything listed above, and would probably only add one more $30 Daiginjo to ensure y'all get some good stuff), and I live a mile from metronorth (for those who won't drive or rideshare).
JoshDrinksPort
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

most excellent, I was thinking the same thing.

Set a date so I can put a note in the calendar to clear out the night for sake and raw fish.

do you have a rice cooker josh?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

How about Saturday Mar 28th? Who is free?

(and yes, I've a rice cooker)
JoshDrinksPort
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

OK! This has been officially scheduled for Saturday, March 28th as it coincides with the first day of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in DC. The tasting begins around 7pm (7:30 we start pouring), if you would like to attend and did not just get a PM from me, please let me know so I can get you on the list.
JoshDrinksPort
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

+2 here
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

1. Permission is being sought.
2. Please, what late-evening transport is available from chez toi to Manhattan?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Hey julian, I'll be in t he city in the morning so can probably drive you up there if you want to hop out to queens with me.

as with the way back, I dont think you'd want me driving you home.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:Hey julian, I'll be in t he city in the morning so can probably drive you up there if you want to hop out to queens with me.

as with the way back, I dont think you'd want me driving you home.
There may be some drivers headed back to the city, but the best option is to catch the last express at 10:31, getting you to NYC at 11:21. After that, there's an 11:04 that gets in at 12:04. Metro North is less than a mile from my place, and it takes you straight to Grand Central (its 10-15 mins by 6 to union sq). We'll have plenty of folks willing to drive you down to the Ossining station from here, so that's not a problem.
JoshDrinksPort
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Post by TBird »

damn, march 28? i know i said i'd be there, but i'll be in aruba. my bad!
you've got a friend in cheeses
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

If the wife’s friend will help with the children, yes please. If not, there’s nobody else she can ask except her husband.