Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
PhilW
Dow 1980

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by PhilW » 07:54 Tue 10 Apr 2018

In the latest placemats, why are the "1963" over the shipper different sizes?
jdaw1 wrote:
18:44 Sat 17 Feb 2018
Draft of the placemats.
Image Image
In the above, the 1963 over Ck and Mz are clearly smaller than those over G and D; perhaps some form of proportion since the Mz and Ck are in a smaller font than G and D (being maximised to fit within circles), but it would look better if all the 1963s were the same size font. I don't know how the font size decision for the over-print of the year was determined (I haven't looked, to be fair); perhaps some additional form of control might already provide the capability to enforce a common font size for the 1963s since they are all the same and in the same size area, but if not then perhaps it might be a worthwhile addition.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1900

Re: RE: Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by jdaw1 » 09:50 Thu 12 Apr 2018

PhilW wrote:In the above, the 1963 over Ck and Mz are clearly smaller than those over G and D; perhaps some form of proportion since the Mz and Ck are in a smaller font than G and D (being maximised to fit within circles), but it would look better if all the 1963s were the same size font. I don't know how the font size decision for the over-print of the year was determined (I haven't looked, to be fair); perhaps some additional form of control might already provide the capability to enforce a common font size for the 1963s since they are all the same and in the same size area, but if not then perhaps it might be a worthwhile addition.
It was wrong. I will investigate whether it was a user error or a programmer failure (same person; different roles) and suggest a plan, or just effect it.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1900

Post by jdaw1 » 22:00 Thu 12 Apr 2018

Instead of

Code: Select all

/OvertitleMaxFontSizeProportionTitles 0.125 def
it would have been better to do

/OvertitleMaxFontSizeProportionTitles 0.166666666 def
/FontSizesRatioAboveBelowOverMin 999 def
So it could be a user error.

But I think a change of default for FontSizesRatioAboveBelowOverMin would be advisable, from

/FontSizesRatioAboveBelowOverMin 2 sqrt sqrt def
to

So it could be a programmer error.

A reminder: if font sizes are closer in ratio than FontSizesRatioAboveBelowOverMin (or, mutatis mutandis, FontSizesRatioTitlesMin, then they are set to be the same. It is, in ratio terms, the minimum difference in font size. These two parameters prevent there being many font sizes that differ only slightly.

Objections?

jdaw1
Cockburn 1900

Post by jdaw1 » 12:32 Sun 15 Apr 2018

jdaw1 wrote:
22:00 Thu 12 Apr 2018

Done.