Port for sale at auction

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Port for sale at auction

Post by uncle tom »

I would be surprised if any of that trio are still drinking well.

..historical curiosities only... :?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:I would be surprised if any of that trio are still drinking well.

Tom
indeed, but it would make a good conversation piece when you come visit ;-)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:
uncle tom wrote:I would be surprised if any of that trio are still drinking well.

Tom
indeed, but it would make a good conversation piece when you come visit ;-)
I was most amused by the Fine Tawny Hunting Port; though the murky brown color suggests it actually went on the hunt.
The left-most wine was described as a VP, though analysis of the label makes it clear that it is not. I've seen that so many times now... old port isn't automatically Vintage Port.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

FYI, I am bidding in a US auction tomorrow. If you are also bidding in a US auction tomorrow, you are welcome to send me a PM -- we can discuss how good port tastes.
JoshDrinksPort
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Tom
it just hammered at 320$ pre buyer's .
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:it just hammered at 320$ pre buyer's .
And we watched a single D63 hammer at $520.

That's what happens when you auction off Bernie Madoff's port. Did we mention the 18% buyers prem and 10% tax? Someone paid an arm and a leg for that historical curiosity.
JoshDrinksPort
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

How did you end up doing at Morrell, sushi?

I was interested in a few lots at Acker on Saturday, but got there a little late, so I only picked up 3 cases of 1970 VP (Taylor, Graham, and Dow).
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Chris Doty wrote:How did you end up doing at Morrell, sushi?
I was interested in a few lots at Acker on Saturday, but got there a little late, so I only picked up 3 cases of 1970 VP (Taylor, Graham, and Dow).
We were successful in 2 out of 3 of our pursuits. I needed more F94 to fill out that hole, and got 6 for 350 (+18%, =69ea), and went for the F70s as well and got 6 for 480 (+18%, =94ea). The 94's were a great price, the 70's a good price. The W66 we had our eye on went above a fair price and we passed on it.
JoshDrinksPort
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Excellent work!

I was also curious about the W66 lot, but agree that it went for more than I could justify.

It is amazing how wide a gap there is in the US between port prices at auction and port prices retail. I wonder if that is just because few american drinkers ever consider buying more than one bottle at a time? Curious...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Chris Doty wrote:It is amazing how wide a gap there is in the US between port prices at auction and port prices retail. I wonder if that is just because few american drinkers ever consider buying more than one bottle at a time? Curious...
I have read elsewhere that US auctions once had a reputation of being a place where people dumped damaged stock, presumably heat damaged, so it was more of a risk to buy there than at UK auctions. Perhaps that reputation is no longer justified and you are just benefiting from the ignorance of others who think it still presents too much of a risk? If so, I wouldn't let too many people know the truth :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:
Chris Doty wrote:It is amazing how wide a gap there is in the US between port prices at auction and port prices retail. I wonder if that is just because few american drinkers ever consider buying more than one bottle at a time? Curious...
I have read elsewhere that US auctions once had a reputation of being a place where people dumped damaged stock, presumably heat damaged, so it was more of a risk to buy there than at UK auctions. Perhaps that reputation is no longer justified and you are just benefiting from the ignorance of others who think it still presents too much of a risk? If so, I wouldn't let too many people know the truth :wink:
don't get me wrong, between sushi and i, we've definitely had our misses and hits.

I find the younger stuff to be more hits then misses
with older stuff being 50/50.

you will always find more leakers in the states and when yer buying case lots there are always 3-4 bottels that are "Signs of seepage"
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

One other point about this, btw. We've realized there are some folks on the forum (lurking, likely) that monitor this thread and the for-sale-by-retailer thread (and even the tasting organization threads) and scoop up decently priced port. Unfortunately, that means we can't mention where or what we've found until after doing our purchasing. It's sad, because sometimes these are short-term sales, or auctions with lots we won't be bidding on. It's why I was ambiguous about which auction we were bidding in, and why we now have to acquire missing ports for tastings before saying where we're getting them.
JoshDrinksPort
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Opening owcs in the 20-30 year age range, I find there are one or more bottles with a seepage issue in about two cases out of five. Mostly it's pretty trivial, and my policy of 'survival of the fittest' sees them drunk in fairly short order.

Old bottles can sometimes weep a little when subjected to the varying temperatures of being transported to a saleroom, but quite often the seepage stops after they have been tucked up in my cellar.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:Opening owcs in the 20-30 year age range, I find there are one or more bottles with a seepage issue in about two cases out of five. Mostly it's pretty trivial, and my policy of 'survival of the fittest' sees them drunk in fairly short order.

Old bottles can sometimes weep a little when subjected to the varying temperatures of being transported to a saleroom, but quite often the seepage stops after they have been tucked up in my cellar.

Tom
I quite enjoy this survival of the fittest policy!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SushiNorth wrote:
One other point about this, btw. We've realized there are some folks on the forum (lurking, likely) that monitor this thread and the for-sale-by-retailer thread (and even the tasting organization threads) and scoop up decently priced port. Unfortunately, that means we can't mention where or what we've found until after doing our purchasing. It's sad, because sometimes these are short-term sales, or auctions with lots we won't be bidding on. It's why I was ambiguous about which auction we were bidding in, and why we now have to acquire missing ports for tastings before saying where we're getting them.
That's exactly the sort of thing that Private Messages are for :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Piasa, Tue 14 June 2011, Paris, lots 41 to 47 being variously NN66, N66, NN63, Cr75.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The estimates for the NNs are very low!
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

FYI:
http://www.ackerwines.com/onlineauctions/Search.cfm

some run of the mill stuff, however the below lot warrants some attention.

I'm at my monthly budget so will be passing
@190 - which after buyer's comes to 230$ is a steal for these for bottles.

New York (lot location)
Fonseca Vintage Port
- Vintage 1985 (2)
Graham's Vintage Port
- Vintage 1985 (1)
Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port
- Vintage 1985 lbsl (1)
Above 4 bottles per lot $240-320

Current Winning Bid: $ 180 (mouton55)
Next Winning Bid: $ 190
Number of
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Brits, there's some interesting things up for auction here; the mixed (un-listed) parcel lots at the beginning may be the best value, but there are some other lots which look interesting.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/sear ... leID=23159

Meanwhile, I did peruse the US auction list, and if anyone is interested please PM me.
Last edited by SushiNorth on 19:07 Tue 27 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.
JoshDrinksPort
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Duff link, I think...

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:Duff link, I think...

Tom
The format of the url looks like it's a secure area you can only see if you are a member and logged into the site.
Ernest H. Cockburn
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Sorry! my ctrl-c has not been working well recently. Link fixed: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/sear ... leID=23159
JoshDrinksPort
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

SushiNorth wrote:Sorry! my ctrl-c has not been working well recently. Link fixed: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/sear ... leID=23159
Might be fun to try to pick a case or two up for an offline and see what comes out!
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:
SushiNorth wrote:Sorry! my ctrl-c has not been working well recently. Link fixed: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/sear ... leID=23159
Might be fun to try to pick a case or two up for an offline and see what comes out!
Might be fun for a few of us to throw in £100 each and let our auction expert buy the whole lot as team port? 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
RAYC wrote:
Might be fun for a few of us to throw in £100 each and let our auction expert buy the whole lot as team port? 88)
I'd be in.

Could be a bit of a crap-shoot without any listings - here's the link to last year's awards: everything from Morrison's b.o.b tawny and Churchill's Dry White to Dalva 1966 Colheita and Graham's 1980. I suppose these lots could contain a similar range!
Rob C.