Chateau Fongaban Cotes du Castillon 2000

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Chateau Fongaban Cotes du Castillon 2000

Post by KillerB »

A Cotes du Castillon, which is Right Bank Bordeaux next door to St Emillion and near Pomerol but nowhere near the price. I bought a case of this stuff several years ago and have left them to get on with it, checking one about three years ago, when it still needed a bit of time. Made from predomintely Merlot with a slug of Cab Sauv and some Cab Franc. Tested tonight because I wanted something softish and thought it about time the lesser Right Bank Bordeaux 2000 came out of its shell.

Decanted into a ship-style decanter and given a good bit of air but tasted fairly quickly from quite cool. Colour is very vibrant and dark and it slushes about a bit, not spectacularly viscous but weighty enough. Nose is very brambly with an almost basil sweet herbal note. In the mouth it is medium weight with a lot of unripe strawberries but a tobacco finish. It is a perfectly happy drink and I killed the bottle in an enjoyable manner. The rest will probably start to follow quite quickly now as I can't see this as a real long termer, it's no meant to be.

Like a lot of Right Bank satellite regions Cotes du Castillon for 2000 is coming good. Reasons to have room for wine - so you can hold lower tier stuff until it's ready and drink as house wine. This is a good example.
Port is basically a red drink