Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

What happened?
Post Reply
User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by DRT » 01:03 Fri 12 Feb 2010

Appropriate links to be added later.

It was a great pleasure to have Oscar at a :tpf: port tasting. Hopefully it has gone a little way to repaying the fantastic hospitality that Oscar has extended to those of us who have had the opportunity to visit his winery in the Douro.

It was an interesting experience to taste so many Colheitas together. This was a first for me and, I have to say, not something I would look to repeat any time soon. There were some very interesting wines but I think the night confirmed that I am very much a Vintage Port fan.

Wine of the night for me was the Niepoort 1968, bottled in 1983. Second was the Niepoort 1994, bottled in 2004 and third was the 1975 Quevedo, bottled yesterday.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2424
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by KillerB » 01:25 Fri 12 Feb 2010

Sorry to have missed this, it would have been great to meet Oscar, and I have nothing against the orange stuff. However, I'm in a slightly different hemisphere and the commute would have been too long.
Port is basically a red drink

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by DRT » 01:37 Fri 12 Feb 2010

KillerB wrote:Sorry to have missed this, it would have been great to meet Oscar, and I have nothing against the orange stuff. However, I'm in a slightly different hemisphere and the commute would have been too long.
When you say slightly different hemisphere, do you mean Cornwall?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2390
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by Andy Velebil » 01:49 Fri 12 Feb 2010

DRT wrote:A

It was an interesting experience to taste so many Colheitas together. This was a first for me and, I have to say, not something I would look to repeat any time soon. There were some very interesting wines but I think the night confirmed that I am very much a Vintage Port fan.

Wine of the night for me was the Niepoort 1968, bottled in 1983. Second was the Niepoort 1994, bottled in 2004 and third was the 1975 Quevedo, bottled yesterday.
What kind of Port drinker doesn't like Colheita's? Oh yeah, you live on that side of the pond :wink: :lol:

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2390
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by Andy Velebil » 01:51 Fri 12 Feb 2010

The 1994 Niepoort is a very good colheita. I've got some in storage, I'll have to make you drink some next time I see you,.

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by DRT » 01:52 Fri 12 Feb 2010

Andy V wrote:
DRT wrote:A

It was an interesting experience to taste so many Colheitas together. This was a first for me and, I have to say, not something I would look to repeat any time soon. There were some very interesting wines but I think the night confirmed that I am very much a Vintage Port fan.

Wine of the night for me was the Niepoort 1968, bottled in 1983. Second was the Niepoort 1994, bottled in 2004 and third was the 1975 Quevedo, bottled yesterday.
What kind of Port drinker doesn't like Colheita's? Oh yeah, you live on that side of the pond :wink: :lol:
I suppose what I really mean is that I don't understand it. I can drink it and enjoy it, but I struggle to appreciate it.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2424
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by KillerB » 01:57 Fri 12 Feb 2010

DRT wrote:
KillerB wrote:Sorry to have missed this, it would have been great to meet Oscar, and I have nothing against the orange stuff. However, I'm in a slightly different hemisphere and the commute would have been too long.
When you say slightly different hemisphere, do you mean Cornwall?
Nope, does begin with 'C' though, but ends in 'anberra'
Port is basically a red drink

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2390
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by Andy Velebil » 02:06 Fri 12 Feb 2010

DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote:
DRT wrote:A

It was an interesting experience to taste so many Colheitas together. This was a first for me and, I have to say, not something I would look to repeat any time soon. There were some very interesting wines but I think the night confirmed that I am very much a Vintage Port fan.

Wine of the night for me was the Niepoort 1968, bottled in 1983. Second was the Niepoort 1994, bottled in 2004 and third was the 1975 Quevedo, bottled yesterday.
What kind of Port drinker doesn't like Colheita's? Oh yeah, you live on that side of the pond :wink: :lol:
I suppose what I really mean is that I don't understand it. I can drink it and enjoy it, but I struggle to appreciate it.
You just need to drink more then :CC9900:

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3273
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by Glenn E. » 08:02 Fri 12 Feb 2010

Andy V wrote:
DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote:
DRT wrote:A

It was an interesting experience to taste so many Colheitas together. This was a first for me and, I have to say, not something I would look to repeat any time soon. There were some very interesting wines but I think the night confirmed that I am very much a Vintage Port fan.

Wine of the night for me was the Niepoort 1968, bottled in 1983. Second was the Niepoort 1994, bottled in 2004 and third was the 1975 Quevedo, bottled yesterday.
What kind of Port drinker doesn't like Colheita's? Oh yeah, you live on that side of the pond :wink: :lol:
I suppose what I really mean is that I don't understand it. I can drink it and enjoy it, but I struggle to appreciate it.
You just need to drink more then :CC9900:
I'll drink to that! :993300: (Mine's a 40-year old. Dunno what Andy's drinking. :nirvana: )

In the same way that I had to learn to appreciate rubies, I think it's perfectly normal for a Brit to have to learn to appreciate tawnies. Practically all you guys have over there are Ruby Ports, so of course that's all you drink. :wink:
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19486
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by jdaw1 » 08:07 Fri 12 Feb 2010

Oscar: sorry to have missed you. Stuck in foreign parts.

User avatar
Chris Doty
Warre’s Otima 20 year old Tawny
Posts: 678
Joined: 12:30 Fri 29 Jan 2010

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by Chris Doty » 10:04 Fri 12 Feb 2010

Another fun and educational evening, and a real treat to meet Oscar.

As for the wines, I share Derek's feelings -- no rush to buy/taste any more, especially considering how close in price many of them are to quality bottles of VP. But, like they say, you never know until you try (unless of course you study philosophy, at which point they just leave it to 'you never know').

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by JacobH » 11:08 Fri 12 Feb 2010

It was a great pleasure to meet Oscar and his friends, as well as ChrisD. I'm also grateful to Oscar for bringing over some really interesting wines for us to try.

I agree with Derek's choice of top three wines, although I might put them in the reverse order: the Quevedo 1975 was easily the most interesting and exiting to drink, followed by the Niepoort 1994 (which was, incidentally, bottled in 2006 not 2004) and then the Niepoort 1968.

It was fun to drink through some of these tawnies in one tasting, even though I spent most of the evening feeling massively out of my depth. The big problem which I had was a struggle to tell the age of these wines, especially as they have two variables (harvest date and bottling date) and seem to mature at quite different rates.

It wasn't an experience which completely converted me to drinking tawnies, but I have no objection to them and will probably try to continue to have one or two bottles of Niepoort available for when the mood takes me.
Image

User avatar
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 114
Joined: 19:48 Wed 08 Jul 2009
Location: Douro
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by oscar quevedo » 21:39 Tue 23 Feb 2010

It was a REALLY nice experience to meet you all at the Crusting Pipe. I must confess that the final result/ video is quite disturbing. I could realize that my mission was not accomplished. I was not successful in bringing you to the consumption of Colheitas (Glenn please don't give up) and it was not because of these Colheitas we had at the tasting. There were some lovely wines. In any case I enjoyed the wines and your presence. Something to repeat, maybe with other theme :roll:

User avatar
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3326
Joined: 13:50 Wed 24 Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Oscar Night - 11 Feb 2010

Post by g-man » 00:11 Wed 24 Feb 2010

I might have to shave and wear a suit if you are recording us when you swing by New York =).

or maybe I'll get a plaid shirt in honor of Alex
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest