Essencia do vinho Feedback

What happened?
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Essencia do vinho Feedback

Post by Axel P »

I am just back from this years essencia do vinho in Porto with a lot of very good impressions and tasting notes.

The week started splendid with a Colheita tasting at Warres including 1997, 1992, 1986, 1972, 1937 and 1882, thanks again Joao. From this I went to Goncalo to meet Jose Guedes from Quinta das Lamelas to taste his 10, 20, 30, 40y old Tawny, some LBV and his VP 2007 - excellent. After this I was at our forum friend Oscar for a very portuguese dinner, where I - the only non portuguese based guest - showed up last. Maybe I just tried to be more portuguese than the others. We blind tasted and blind guessed many unfortified wines with very bad results but lots of fun. Thanks again, Oscar.

Next day started with a long and very interesting discussion at Cockburn, followed by a lunch at Sogevinus (excellent Kopke Colheita 1957). In the afternoon I met Verena Niepoort for some discussion.

Essencia: 1st day: Journalist tasting, best 10 portuguese wines, VP selection included: Noval, Warre, Graham, Dow, Niepoort, Taylor, Fonseca of 2007 blind. Afternoon tasting: Vintage Port vs. Colheita of Calem 1997, Kopke 1985, Barros 1974 and Burmester 1963. All very good. Lunch included Burmester Colheita 1985 and evening with G. Sandeman included Sandeman VP 1967, amazing bottle, much better than the one we had last October in London.

2nd day: Portuguese aniversary: Moscatel, Madeira and Vintage Port from 1910: Ramos Pinto, presentet by Joao Nicolau de Almeida: was definitely best of the three. Wondering around at the fair tasting Novals 2007, Noval Black, Taylor Terra Feita, Fonseca Guimaraens 1998, Dalva VP 2007, Golden White of 1963, Sandeman 2003 VP and many more.

Everything took place at lovely 15 deg. and sun (except friday, where it was raining), so I definitely hope to see some of you there next year.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com