Nacional Tasting BBR 25th Oct

Anything to do with Port.
clawhit
Warre’s Warrior

Nacional Tasting BBR 25th Oct

Post by clawhit »

Hi guys

Tickets have just gone on sale for the above - this is yet to appear on their main webpage £95 per ticket only 16 places remaining

We are delighted to welcome back the charismatic Christian Seely, Managing Director of AXA Estates,
whose enviable portfolio includes not only Cru Classé Claret estates but the totemic Quinta do Noval,
one of the most impressive and scenic of all the properties which decorate the magnificent terraced
banks of the River Douro. Famed for their aged Tawny production in addition to the Late Bottled
Vintage styles, both of which are firm favourites in the Berrys’ canon, Noval are perhaps best known
for their vintage wines. One in particular, a minute plot the vines of which pre-date phylloxera, stands
out, almost literally, from all the others. With an annual production of around 1000 bottles, Quinta do
Noval Nacional is one of the rarest and greatest of all Ports and it was therefore a source of
enormous excitement to us when Christian announced his intention to bring along several examples
of this iconic wine. He has not yet revealed which they are to be, although the fact that he has
promised to bring bottles from not only the 1990s but also the 1960s and the 1970s should prove
enticement enough for this benchmark tasting.

Wines to be served:
1998 SWC Pol Roger
Nacional
Noval

Hopefully see some of you there.

C
:D
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Nacional Tasting BBR 25th Oct

Post by Axel P »

Thanks for telling. I just got myself booked in.

9 tickets remaining. Limited to 2 tickets per Person, otherwise I would have booked more for the forum.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Thanks for the heads up.

Should be a great event (thanks to Axel and Wolfgang for helping me find a seat at the table!).
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi Chris,

Indeed this should be superb. Also it looks like I can go to this event since I should be back in London. I still wonder where Axel had the 16th of October as a date for the event on the telephone from. :roll: :?

Axel,

thanks for your advice to buy two tickets since I can go now as well :) :D

Remainung ticktes when I spoke to BBR were 3!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

I wish Seely would come to America for a tasting like that. The price is not bad either considering the range of ports for tasting.

I've never had a Nacional... (quietly sobbing)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Portman wrote:I wish Seely would come to America for a tasting like that. The price is not bad either considering the range of ports for tasting.

I've never had a Nacional... (quietly sobbing)
Make your way over to the UK and we'll see what we can do. It might not be as comprehensive as Berry Brothers' tasting, but we'll at least be able to break your duck.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

WS1 wrote:I still wonder where Axel had the 16th of October as a date for the event on the telephone from.
True, the guy at BBR told me that it will be th 16th, but I guess he was wrong.

See you latest on the 25th.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Incidentally, there are still tickets available for this tasting on http://www.bbr.com if anyone wants to attend.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sounds like a really fun tasting. Too bad the 1966 and 1970 are not included, but otherwise a solid lineup. There was a factual error when it was mentioned that 1,000 bottles of Nacional are produced annually. With 250 cs. produced on average ... for those in attendance, have a great time. Nacional needs to be consumed to be understood. I've long defended against posts elsewhere, (before FTLOP) where wine people bashed the pricing of Quinta do Noval Nacional ... when I knew those individuals had never even tasted a single sip of the stuff. I can understand the skepticism and questioning that the pricing could really, possibly be worth so many times the price of other VPs from the same vintage.

When Port lovers go and attend a tasting like this one ... the lightning strikes and minds are permanently changed henceforth.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Roy Hersh wrote:
When Port lovers go and attend a tasting like this one ... the lightning strikes and minds are permanently changed henceforth.
I sure hope you're right, Roy. So far I've only managed to taste the 78 and the 60, but both experiences left me indeed wondering what all the fuss is about. Although I think my credit card likes it that way, I hope that at a broader tasting the magical elements that so many people rave about will make themselves known to me.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Chris,

I have a feeling that has more to do with the 1960 and 1978 versions of Nacional. The 1960 is the better of the two, imo and the last two times I had it ... gave it 89 and 91 points, fwiw. The 1978 is not a great vintage but did produce a nice Vargellas and Dalva VP along with some fine Colheitas; my rating of the 1978 was 86 points at the time.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I missed this somehow so wondered if anyone on the forum happened to predict such an occurence and has a spare ticket for this event.

Here's hoping