1955 Adam

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1955 Adam

Post by jdaw1 »

Ad55: 50% opacity, lovely red. Nose showing heat, and some stewed fruits. CRS rightly said ‟liquorice”. To taste initially heat, huge, early- and mid-palate. A flavour for which I wrote ‟near pineapple” that CMAG corrected to ‟very sweet orange”. Very sweet, with balancing acidity. Past its peak, despite the colour, but eminently drinkable. And not Royal Oporto.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Deep red with some dust on the nose. Thick in the mouth with vanilla but then lots of heat.

This seemed to improve as the night went on and was a very pleasant glass of port but I didn't take any aditional notes.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Unknown shipper, cork simply branded Adam's 1955. Deep red with a hint of burnt brown, 60% opaque. Warm and spicy nose, really attractive. Delightful mouth feel, great palate presence with a fabulous combination of burnt sugar and rhubarb. Big aftertaste, coating the mouth with brown sugar flavours and bringing a good length. A great wine. 91/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

My first serious bottle of port in 3 months...

Very unusual nose in my experience, something like slightly toasted peppermint. Mid-color, mid-weight in the mouth, this is a long drop with a small but well packed combination of red and brown spices on the finish. Actually surprisingly nice -- I had never heard of Adam before. A good start. 87+ points.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=38120#p38120]Here[/url] RAYC wrote:It was immediately apparent that I was in the company of some seasoned critics as I made my way quite happily through several ports which were described variously as "dishclothy" and "deeply flawed"! In particular (and in slight contrast to those around me) I enjoyed the Adams, which I thought felt was wonderdfully syrupy in the mouth. A childhood fondness for cough mixture perhaps meant I was more tolerant than others of a couple of the more medicinal ports on offer
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: 2nd darkest of the 16... possibly 3rd. Very dark red to almost purple.
Nose: Secondary, but nice.
Palate: Smooth, sweet, and secondary. Moderately rich.
Finish: Warm, rich, and pleasant.

Score: 91 points. My #2 from the first flight, behind the Graham and ahead of the Gonzalez Byass. Also my #2 on the night, behind the Graham and ahead of the Taylor.
Glenn Elliott