A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Post Reply
User avatar
benread
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1387
Joined: 21:36 Thu 17 Apr 2008
Location: Reigate, Surrey

A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by benread » 23:43 Thu 11 Nov 2010

Continuing the theme from 2009 (Vargellathon) and 2010 (Grahams vs Malvedos) I have taken it upon myself, in consultation with those also blessed to be an Aries, to start the planning for 2011. With so many vested interests, there is already strong demand, before we even have a firm date!

Proposed theme: Fonseca vs. Fonseca Guimaraens (DRT has a FG 1965!)
Date: tbc, but likely to be very early April (edit: 4th April)
Venue: tbc until date is resolved, but hopefully the RAF Club on Picadilly (edit: confirmed RAF Club)

Attendees:
1. Me
2. DRT
3. DRT's +1 (industry guest)
4. RAYC
5. Axel
6. JDAW1
7. UncleTom
8. AHB
9. Ghandih
10. Cookie
11. JacobH
12. Chris Doty
13. WS1
14. AndyVelebil

Waiting list:
1. Marc J

No longer attending:
1. Christopher G
2. JacobH +1
3. Mrs Ghandih

Vintage availability:
Costs of attending will need to be balanced based on what can physically be contributed, along with the cost of dinner, corkage etc. No idea how this will all work out yet and I will certainly engage the support of others to help work it all out. (DRT please!) To help me work out what line up we could organise, could people PM me what they are willing to contribute or put up for adoption, along with any cost estimates. I will start a post of available vintages to tease DRT and JDAW1 into making this the most complete vertical ever achieved!

Updated 17th January 2011:
We have now confirmed the date (4th April ) and venue (RAF Club, courtesy of Axel again.). Please can you all confirm your attendance (or otherwise) and update me if you have any undeclared bottles of Fonseca / Guimaraens you are willing to make available.

Updated 27th January:
Attendance and wait list updated.

Updated 22nd March:
Attendance list updated.
Last edited by benread on 07:13 Tue 22 Mar 2011, edited 3 times in total.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970!

User avatar
benread
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1387
Joined: 21:36 Thu 17 Apr 2008
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by benread » 23:48 Thu 11 Nov 2010

A place holder for offered vintages...

Edit 18th January:

We have offered so far:

Fonseca: 1960,1963,1966,1970,1977,1980,1985,1992,1997,2000
Fonseca Guimaraens: 1942 (poss),1962 (poss),1965,1968,1972,1976,1978,1984,1986,1988,1991,1996

A vague plan is emerging to focus on the FG and intersperse them with occasional Fonseca, as we did with the Grahams / Malvedos tasting in 2010.
Last edited by benread on 23:02 Tue 18 Jan 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970!

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by DRT » 00:21 Fri 12 Nov 2010

I have Fonseca 66, 85, 97 and 2000 and FG65.

I thought I had 3 or 4 other FGs, but I must had done a KillerB-V94 on them :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3333
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by Glenn E. » 00:43 Fri 12 Nov 2010

If, in your search for FG, you happen upon a stash of FG64 beyond that needed for this tasting, please advise.

1964 is my birth year and very few '64s exist. FG is one, and I would love to aquire more once this tasting has its allotment in place.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by DRT » 00:49 Fri 12 Nov 2010

Glenn,

It did not escape my notice that a bottle of FG64 passed through my hands on its way to Seattle not so long ago. We will, of course, keep watch for more :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by RAYC » 02:39 Fri 12 Nov 2010

I have had good luck with reserve lists so far so would certainly be interested in putting my name forward - thanks, Rob
Rob C.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by JacobH » 10:50 Fri 12 Nov 2010

I note that since Fonseca Guimaraens is not quite a SQVP (the question over Graham's Malvedos notwithstanding), this does not exempt :tpf: from organising a proper SQVP tasting in 2011 ;-)
Image

User avatar
Axel P
Niepoort 1977
Posts: 1704
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by Axel P » 12:10 Mon 15 Nov 2010

Ben,

I have quite some Fonsecas, Guimaraens and Panascals after 1970, which I am happy to contribute. Let me know and I would like to fill the gaps.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com

User avatar
Chris Doty
Warre’s Otima 20 year old Tawny
Posts: 690
Joined: 12:30 Fri 29 Jan 2010

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by Chris Doty » 21:15 Tue 16 Nov 2010

Would love to attend!

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by JacobH » 10:54 Wed 17 Nov 2010

That's two on the reserve list. How many do we need before we do this with Magnums?
Image

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11051
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by AHB » 23:29 Wed 17 Nov 2010

JacobH wrote:That's two on the reserve list. How many do we need before we do this with Magnums?
I don't think I have ever seen a magnum of Fonseca Guimaraens!

But if we can get 7 people on the reserve list then maybe it would be worth 2 bottles of each wine...
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by JacobH » 18:17 Thu 18 Nov 2010

AHB wrote:
JacobH wrote:That's two on the reserve list. How many do we need before we do this with Magnums?
I don't think I have ever seen a magnum of Fonseca Guimaraens!
Pff...details :-P
Image

User avatar
benread
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1387
Joined: 21:36 Thu 17 Apr 2008
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by benread » 23:39 Mon 17 Jan 2011

Details updated. See first post.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970!

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11051
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by AHB » 00:07 Tue 18 Jan 2011

I'm still available!
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by jdaw1 » 00:10 Tue 18 Jan 2011

First draft of placemats.
  • benread wrote:to tease DRT and JDAW1 into making this the most complete vertical ever achieved!
    So far, we are rubbish and will be going thirsty.

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2447
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by Andy Velebil » 04:32 Tue 18 Jan 2011

Still planning on attending, baring any major work issues. Looking into flights soon.

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11051
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by AHB » 09:47 Tue 18 Jan 2011

jdaw1 wrote:First draft of placemats.
  • benread wrote:to tease DRT and JDAW1 into making this the most complete vertical ever achieved!
    So far, we are rubbish and will be going thirsty.
I laughed out loud when I saw the draft placemat for the Fonseca Guimaraens vertical - with 1 bottle of Guimaraens and 4 bottles of Fonseca on it!

Ben - stop teasing us with your second post (the placeholder for the offered vintages) and start to tantalise...we are only 2 months and 13 days away from the tasting.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by jdaw1 » 10:38 Tue 18 Jan 2011

AHB wrote:I laughed out loud when I saw the draft placemat for the Fonseca Guimaraens vertical - with 1 bottle of Guimaraens and 4 bottles of Fonseca on it!
Between fourteen people not enough. Maybe Axel can save us:
Axel P wrote:I have quite some Fonsecas, Guimaraens and Panascals after 1970, which I am happy to contribute. Let me know and I would like to fill the gaps.

User avatar
benread
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1387
Joined: 21:36 Thu 17 Apr 2008
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by benread » 13:36 Tue 18 Jan 2011

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:First draft of placemats.
  • benread wrote:to tease DRT and JDAW1 into making this the most complete vertical ever achieved!
    So far, we are rubbish and will be going thirsty.
I laughed out loud when I saw the draft placemat for the Fonseca Guimaraens vertical - with 1 bottle of Guimaraens and 4 bottles of Fonseca on it!

Ben - stop teasing us with your second post (the placeholder for the offered vintages) and start to tantalise...we are only 2 months and 13 days away from the tasting.
Rest assured we will not be thirsty. At last count, we have 20+ offered vintages! Will try and update tonight.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970!

User avatar
benread
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1387
Joined: 21:36 Thu 17 Apr 2008
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by benread » 23:08 Tue 18 Jan 2011

List of possible ports now updated. Costs will need to be confirmed.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970!

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011 - 4th April 2011

Post by jdaw1 » 23:23 Tue 18 Jan 2011

Updated draft of placemats.
  • +Lots of bottles. Hurray!
  • Most bottles missing the name of the contributor.
  • Nothing in the pedants’ third millennium.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by jdaw1 » 23:26 Tue 18 Jan 2011

benread wrote:Fonseca: 1960,1963,1966,1970,1977,1980,1985,1992,1997,2000
Fonseca Guimaraens: 1942 (poss),1962 (poss),1965,1968,1972,1976,1978,1984,1986,1988,1991,1996

A vague plan is emerging to focus on the FG and intersperse them with occasional Fonseca, as we did with the Grahams / Malvedos tasting in 2010.
Link to that Malvedos tasting.

For starters I’d be happy to lose the F60 and F80.

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by DRT » 00:02 Wed 19 Jan 2011

jdaw1 wrote:
benread wrote:Fonseca: 1960,1963,1966,1970,1977,1980,1985,1992,1997,2000
Fonseca Guimaraens: 1942 (poss),1962 (poss),1965,1968,1972,1976,1978,1984,1986,1988,1991,1996

A vague plan is emerging to focus on the FG and intersperse them with occasional Fonseca, as we did with the Grahams / Malvedos tasting in 2010.
Link to that Malvedos tasting.

For starters I’d be happy to lose the F60 and F80.
I agree. I also think that 1985, 1992, 1997 and 2000 represent too many extremely immature Fonseca vintages.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19668
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by jdaw1 » 00:04 Wed 19 Jan 2011

DRT wrote:I also think that 1985, 1992, 1997 and 2000 represent too many extremely immature Fonseca vintages.
Surely F85 would be interesting against FG84 and FG86.

On the other hand, it isn’t as if we don’t know what F85 is like. We know it well.

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A birthday tasting 2011

Post by DRT » 00:09 Wed 19 Jan 2011

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:I also think that 1985, 1992, 1997 and 2000 represent too many extremely immature Fonseca vintages.
Surely F85 would be interesting against FG84 and FG86.
Yes, it would be. My point was that 4 bottles of immature port spanning only 15 years is too many. One from four might not be too many.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests