NY- Possible tasting suggestion

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NY- Possible tasting suggestion

Post by g-man »

Was discussing over the last meeting that we should do a "We really need to try that bottle" tasting and a couple of bottles were mentioned.

Fonseca 1960
Croft 1945
Any Noval Nacionale (from previous offline)

which looks to be a pretty good tasting.

Any of you NY guys up for it?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: NY- Possible tasting suggestion

Post by Chris Doty »

I like the initiative, G-Man.

In general, please put me down for any VP tasting to be held on the island of Manhattan (south of 96th street), starting after 6:30pm, with at least two weeks of prior notice.

In this particular case, I am happy to participate, though I must confess that my experiences with Fonseca 1960 and the Noval Nacional have left me wondering what the fuss is about.

The F60 I've had only twice (Tom's birthday offline at the Bowler, and at the Fonseca/Guimaraens tasting) and neither really distinguished itself as being worthy of particular admiration or respect, IMHO.

Similarly, while I do believe the NN has a distinct flavor profile (in particular a certain grainy chewiness, to my palate), I've not yet found an example that warrants anything near the prices these bottles command (having tried the 60, 63, 64, 67, 94, 97, 00 and 03).

Personally, one lesson I've learned through TPF is that a defining characteristic of vintage port is that some of the very best examples ever made are readily available in the market place, and at relatively *eep!* affordable prices (70s, F85, V94, etc) so my own preference would be something more like an 80/83/87 diagonal tasting, but I'm sure we'll have plenty of time for that down the road!
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Well, I can certainly put my wishlist down as wanting to try the
noval 1931
and dow 1908

;-)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I would really like to try Cockburn 1900 and Dow 1878 (in excellent condition, so probably from double-magnum).
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Chris Doty wrote: Similarly, while I do believe the NN has a distinct flavor profile (in particular a certain grainy chewiness, to my palate), I've not yet found an example that warrants anything near the prices these bottles command (having tried the 60, 63, 64, 67, 94, 97, 00 and 03).
We also had the 83 and 85, found both were celeried.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope