London, Web 8 Feb 2012, blind

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19597
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

London, Web 8 Feb 2012, blind

Post by jdaw1 » 09:07 Fri 20 Jan 2012

Date: Wednesday 8th February 2012.
Theme: Bring a Blind Bottle to Share.
Location: The Bunghole, 57 High Holborn WC1V 6DT, ☎ 020 7831 8365.

People:
  1. AHB;
  2. JDAW;
  3. RAYC;
  4. PW;
  5. DRT.
Tentatives include
  • JGH.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19597
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: London, soon

Post by jdaw1 » 09:08 Fri 20 Jan 2012

I have chosen two bottles to bring to the next blind tasting in London. Has the date of that tasting yet been agreed?

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: London, soon

Post by RAYC » 13:37 Fri 20 Jan 2012

I was wondering when someone (and who) would crack!

I am a tentative "in" for any date over next few weeks save for 25th Jan. Work may necessitate a last minute withdrawal, though in the case of a themed tasting my bottle could still attend.
Rob C.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19597
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: London, soon

Post by jdaw1 » 16:29 Fri 20 Jan 2012

I can’t make next Tue 24th Jan, nor Wed 1st Feb, nor Thu 2nd Feb.

RAYC can’t make Wed 25th Jan.

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10935
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: London, soon

Post by AHB » 10:46 Sat 21 Jan 2012

I'm in London on Wednesday 8th Feb and Wednesday 22nd Feb and have a couple of themes I'd like to suggest.

How about:
8th Feb - a small Churchill vertical. I have 1982, 1985, 1991 and 1984 Crusted and I'm happy to supply any and all on an adoption or swaps basis.

22nd Feb - a Jubilee Celebration. Bring a bottle that is somehow connected to the Royal Family or a Jubilee, no matter how tenuous the connection.

Both at the Bunghole.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14951
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: London, soon

Post by DRT » 10:59 Sat 21 Jan 2012

AHB wrote:22nd Feb - a Jubilee Celebration. Bring a bottle that is somehow connected to the Royal Family or a Jubilee, no matter how tenuous the connection.
Does that mean that a bottle of Cruz Tawny sold to me by a Morrison's check-out assistant who was born in 1977 would qualify?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10935
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: London, soon

Post by AHB » 11:07 Sat 21 Jan 2012

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:22nd Feb - a Jubilee Celebration. Bring a bottle that is somehow connected to the Royal Family or a Jubilee, no matter how tenuous the connection.
Does that mean that a bottle of Cruz Tawny sold to me by a Morrison's check-out assistant who was born in 1977 would qualify?
Yes it would certainly fit the theme; but then you have to consider whether you would want to be allowed to attend future offlines when deciding what to bring.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
WS1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 892
Joined: 23:08 Wed 04 Feb 2009
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: London, soon

Post by WS1 » 18:24 Sun 22 Jan 2012

Hi,

I cannot come to the 8th of February gathering since I will be away for business. 22nd of February does look better. Churchill vertical is a good idea. Have still 82 Churchill vintage normal bts and one or two 1995 Agua Alta Magnums. :)

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10935
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: London, soon

Post by AHB » 21:43 Sun 22 Jan 2012

WS1 wrote:Hi,

I cannot come to the 8th of February gathering since I will be away for business. 22nd of February does look better. Churchill vertical is a good idea. Have still 82 Churchill vintage normal bts and one or two 1995 Agua Alta Magnums. :)

regards

WS1
CMAG has said that he is only able to make the 22nd and has requested that the 22nd be used as the date for the Jubilee Celebration offline.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: London, soon

Post by JacobH » 22:11 Sun 22 Jan 2012

Keen as always, though my availability might mean that I will not be able to confirm until closer to the time; I understand that this could mean that I might not get a place if a tasting turns out to be very popular.

With regards to the Jubilee tasting, a number of years ago at a Christmas tasting we had one of those ceramic decanters from Sandeman filled with a 1977 Silver Jubilee ‟Partners’ Port”; I wonder if we could find another?
Image

User avatar
Chris Doty
Warre’s Otima 20 year old Tawny
Posts: 678
Joined: 12:30 Fri 29 Jan 2010

Re: London, soon

Post by Chris Doty » 21:17 Mon 23 Jan 2012

It'd be a pity if i missed this tasting, as I have a bottle commemorating the Investiture of the Prince of Wales (1969).

I can't really think of any other excuse to open the damn thing (which I'm sure by this point will taste quite rubbish).

Hope you've all been keeping well --- I can't believe I haven't yet found a sufficient excuse to get over there and pop some bottles!

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10935
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: London, soon

Post by AHB » 21:54 Mon 23 Jan 2012

Chris Doty wrote:It'd be a pity if i missed this tasting, as I have a bottle commemorating the Investiture of the Prince of Wales (1969).

I can't really think of any other excuse to open the damn thing (which I'm sure by this point will taste quite rubbish).
We had one last year (or was it the year before?) and it was OK. It was probably never a blockbuster, but it was a nice mature port that drank reasaonably well. Don't give up on it.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: London, soon

Post by RAYC » 23:21 Mon 23 Jan 2012

AHB wrote:
Chris Doty wrote:It'd be a pity if i missed this tasting, as I have a bottle commemorating the Investiture of the Prince of Wales (1969).

I can't really think of any other excuse to open the damn thing (which I'm sure by this point will taste quite rubbish).
We had one last year (or was it the year before?) and it was OK. It was probably never a blockbuster, but it was a nice mature port that drank reasaonably well. Don't give up on it.
I seem to remember it being more than just "OK"! TN here. And Dirk N was rather intrigued by this one, if i remember correctly. I would buy again if i saw.
Rob C.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: London, soon

Post by JacobH » 23:24 Mon 23 Jan 2012

AHB wrote:
Chris Doty wrote:It'd be a pity if i missed this tasting, as I have a bottle commemorating the Investiture of the Prince of Wales (1969).

I can't really think of any other excuse to open the damn thing (which I'm sure by this point will taste quite rubbish).
We had one last year (or was it the year before?) and it was OK. It was probably never a blockbuster, but it was a nice mature port that drank reasaonably well. Don't give up on it.
I thought it was pretty nice, and didn’t you give it more points than a 1955 Taylor and 1947 Smith Woodhouse? :P
Image

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: London, soon

Post by JacobH » 23:26 Mon 23 Jan 2012

RAYC wrote:I seem to remember it being more than just "OK"! TN here. And Dirk N was rather intrigued by this one, if i remember correctly. I would buy again if i saw.
Of course AHB may just have higher standards for what constitutes a ‟nice mature Port”... :D
Image

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: London, soon

Post by RAYC » 23:31 Mon 23 Jan 2012

AHB wrote:I'm in London on Wednesday 8th Feb and Wednesday 22nd Feb and have a couple of themes I'd like to suggest.

How about:
8th Feb - a small Churchill vertical. I have 1982, 1985, 1991 and 1984 Crusted and I'm happy to supply any and all on an adoption or swaps basis.

22nd Feb - a Jubilee Celebration. Bring a bottle that is somehow connected to the Royal Family or a Jubilee, no matter how tenuous the connection.

Both at the Bunghole.

I would love to do Churchill, but i think it would be nice to do the Churchill with Wolfgang, who confessed to me the other day that he had never had a Ch85 (at least i think it was him).

However if CMAG wants the Jubilee on 22nd (and he did get in first), perhaps we save the Churchill for another casual offline in March/April.

Please pencil me in for both Feb dates in any event. My suggestion for 8th would either be a simple "bring a bottle blind" or we could see who signs up and send a few PMs amongst us to determine what we want to drink.
Rob C.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: London, soon

Post by JacobH » 23:38 Mon 23 Jan 2012

RAYC wrote:I would love to do Churchill, but i think it would be nice to do the Churchill with Wolfgang, who confessed to me the other day that he had never had a Ch85 (at least i think it was him).
For what it’s worth, although I only think I have a couple of Churchills, if we can get enough bottles together, I do think it would be nice to do a ‟proper” Churchill vertical at some stage, before the number of declared vintages makes it infeasible. It’s one of very few shippers where a full house might not be too difficult or expensive to arrange.
Image

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10935
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: London, soon

Post by AHB » 23:59 Mon 23 Jan 2012

I'm not wedded to the two themes by any means. I'm happy to change the theme for the 8th to our frequent Bring a Blind Bottle to Share and defer the Churchill tasting to another time.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
Cookie
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 336
Joined: 15:53 Thu 13 Dec 2007
Location: Near Uncle Tom

Re: London, soon

Post by Cookie » 14:22 Tue 24 Jan 2012

If the date can be firmed up I am sure I will be able to attend...I like the idea of a Churchill mini vertical, although I have none, but would be happy to adopt if possible.
God may have made water...but man made wine. - Victor Hugo

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: London, soon

Post by RAYC » 15:19 Tue 24 Jan 2012

Cookie wrote:If the date can be firmed up I am sure I will be able to attend...
Both dates have been firmed in my diary already!
Cookie wrote:I like the idea of a Churchill mini vertical
I think the Churchill mini-vertical is potentially to be postponed, leaving a blind bottle tasting on 8th and Jubilee-themed dasting on 22nd.
Rob C.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19597
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: London, Web 8 Feb 2012, blind

Post by jdaw1 » 16:49 Tue 24 Jan 2012

Title and first post of this thread updated such that its subject is now the blind tasting Web 8 Feb 2012.

Tasting to be held two weeks later to continue in new thread, Wed 22nd Feb 2012, Jubilee.

We need to agree a location. The new obvious?

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10935
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

TCP, February 8 2012

Post by AHB » 15:07 Wed 25 Jan 2012

Cookie wrote:If the date can be firmed up I am sure I will be able to attend...I like the idea of a Churchill mini vertical, although I have none, but would be happy to adopt if possible.
Both dates are firm, so please state as and when you know you are able to attend.

On the thread discussing the offline on Feb 22, I suggested for the moment we use both TCP and TBH due to the convenience of TCP for some of us when we need to head home and the convenience of TBH for others. I suggest we use TBH for this event on Feb 8.

The Churchill theme will be deferred to a later date as Wolfgang would like to attend the Churchill offline but can't make this date. Therefore the theme shall be our reliable "Bring a blind bottle of port to share with fellow port lovers" and we can all attempt not to humiliate ourselves. If there are only a small number of people attending, I might even bring my black tasting glasses and see if anyone is able to do better than DRT's perfectly reasonable but spectacularly wrong last attempt.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19597
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: London, Web 8 Feb 2012, blind

Post by jdaw1 » 15:52 Wed 25 Jan 2012

First post updated:
jdaw1 wrote:Location: The Bunghole, 57 High Holborn WC1V 6DT, ☎ 020 7831 8365.
When I’ve counted the likely attendees then I’ll book.

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2416
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: London, Web 8 Feb 2012, blind

Post by PhilW » 09:14 Thu 26 Jan 2012

I hope to be able to join you on the 8th; please count me in.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19597
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: London, Web 8 Feb 2012, blind

Post by jdaw1 » 20:40 Thu 26 Jan 2012

First post updated to say
jdaw1 wrote:People:
  1. AHB;
  2. JDAW;
  3. RAYC;
  4. PW.
Tentatives include
  • JGH.
I’ll book next week, when the number of people might be better known.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests