The Bunghole / The Bung Hole

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

The Bunghole / The Bung Hole

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1, in an email to Davy’s with the subject ‟The Bunghole / The Bung Hole”, wrote:Dear Sir or Madam,

The web page of one of your premises, www.davy.co.uk/bunghole/, gives its name as ‟The Bunghole”. But one of the signs outside has ‟The Bung Hole”, with an extra space and a capitalised ‟H”. A sign inside has no space; the printed promotion of the Quiz Night does have a space.

Please, which is the definitely correct name of this fine local establishment?

Julian Wiseman

(Serial drinker of port in the place the name of which has variable spelling.)
Martin Moran, Area Manager wrote:Dear Mr Wiseman
Your email brought a smile to my face and it has taken me several days to get to the bottom of your query.
I have been looking after the bar for only a few months and did not pick up on the fact that we have several variations on the name.
As the most expensive signage states Bung Hole I would be inclined to run with that however originally it was called Bunghole without a" The"
We are planning a minor refurb over the next few months and we will be renaming the bar " Davy's of Holborn " or " Davy's bar and grill "
I hope this helps to clarify the matter.
Kind Regards
Martin
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: The Bunghole / The Bung Hole

Post by DRT »

Martin Moran, Area Manager wrote:We are planning a minor refurb over the next few months and we will be renaming the bar " Davy's of Holborn " or " Davy's bar and grill "
That's not a good idea!

Should we all rush down to Blacks, buy some tents, and set-up a protest camp in the back passage at the rear of Davy's Bung Hole?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:Should we all rush down to Blacks, buy some tents, and set-up a protest camp in the back passage at the rear of Davy's Bung Hole?
Your presence in their passage could generate irritation and lead to pain and an unpleasant expulsion; some protection might be neccessary.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
Martin Moran, Area Manager wrote:We are planning a minor refurb over the next few months and we will be renaming the bar " Davy's of Holborn " or " Davy's bar and grill "
That's not a good idea!

Should we all rush down to Blacks, buy some tents, and set-up a protest camp in the back passage at the rear of Davy's Bung Hole?
! :lol:

A real pity to lose the name. But i can sort of understand it given the modern/slang connotations of "Bunhole"!
Rob C.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

RAYC wrote:A real pity to lose the name. But i can sort of understand it given the modern/slang connotations of "Bunhole"!
Spelled with an 'n' rather than an 'm'? not just a typo? ok, I googled it to check if the 'n' version was real, and now wish I hadn't :( thx R!
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

sorry - even the modern/slang connotations of Bunghole (have you seen the Beavis and Butthead movie...?)
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I like the current name, and its likely replacement is too anodyne and too corporate.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:I like the current name, and its likely replacement is too anodyne and too corporate.
Agreed. Please write back and tell him so.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1, in a reply email, wrote:Thank you for the reply.

My chums and I think the proposed new name far too corporate and anodyne. Please don’t change it. The old name is quirky, related to beer, but hinting at something biological: we like it.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Considering that Davy’s must have spend a fortune on antiquing the place to make it look like those ancient City pubs, it seems a bit bizarre to rename it to something that draws attention to the fact that it’s part of a big chain.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

it seems a bit bizarre to rename it to something that draws attention to the fact that it’s part of a big chain.
That's what happens when Julian pokes around in places he otherwise shouldn't.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Davy’s, in a promotional article entitled “[url=http://www.davy.co.uk/blog/whats-name-bunghole/]What’s a… Bunghole?[/url]”, wrote:With a long history as wine merchants, it is perhaps not surprising that the names of many of our bars are inspired by wine terminology.

The Bunghole Cellars is our popular wine bar on High Holborn — so what’s in the name…

A bunghole is a hole bored into a barrel and capped with a large cork-like object called a ‘bung’. It is essentially the hole which lets you get quick and easy access to the wine inside.

Bungholes were first used on wooden barrels and were bored by the purchaser with a brace and bit (below) either at the end of a barrel or in one of the sides. These days of course, wooden barrels are manufactured by coopers (barrel makers) who make the bungholes themselves and spare us the job. With the bung removed, a tapered ‘faucet’ can be attached to make it easier to pour the wine.

You will find plenty of barrels at The Bunghole Cellars, although most are only used for decoration rather than dispensing wine. Madeira is still served from the wood, as is Port in a number of our other bars.

The wine world continues to innovate of course and above the Bunghole Cellars in Davy’s Wine House, a bank of enomatic machines provide a more modern way of dispensing wine, preserving them perfectly and allowing users to taste many, often fine wines, before buying.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

jdaw1 wrote:
Davy’s, in a promotional article entitled “[url=http://www.davy.co.uk/blog/whats-name-bunghole/]What’s a… Bunghole?[/url]”, wrote:With a long history as wine merchants, it is perhaps not surprising that the names of many of our bars are inspired by wine terminology.

The Bunghole Cellars is our popular wine bar on High Holborn — so what’s in the name…

A bunghole is a hole bored into a barrel and capped with a large cork-like object called a ‘bung’. It is essentially the hole which lets you get quick and easy access to the wine inside.

Bungholes were first used on wooden barrels and were bored by the purchaser with a brace and bit (below) either at the end of a barrel or in one of the sides. These days of course, wooden barrels are manufactured by coopers (barrel makers) who make the bungholes themselves and spare us the job. With the bung removed, a tapered ‘faucet’ can be attached to make it easier to pour the wine.

You will find plenty of barrels at The Bunghole Cellars, although most are only used for decoration rather than dispensing wine. Madeira is still served from the wood, as is Port in a number of our other bars.

The wine world continues to innovate of course and above the Bunghole Cellars in Davy’s Wine House, a bank of enomatic machines provide a more modern way of dispensing wine, preserving them perfectly and allowing users to taste many, often fine wines, before buying.
I feel "bunghole" has a more romantic ring than "inert gas wine replacement straw" or something of the sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U